it to the full.

I do mostly sunrise shots and where I live there are often people still coming

our of night clubs and pubs in the early hours. Even today in broad daylight I

did not take it out of the bag on the beach as there were a few dodgy looking

people about. Will I get over this, and am I right in thinking most people

know the value of my gear, especially with the white lens attached. How do you

deal with this, or am I being silly.

Eddie

Your white lens is of course like a lighthouse that communicates "I'm valuable stuff! Nick

me!" for miles around...

Which is why I avoid using white lenses if I can. I go further: I black out all big brand logos.

On the strap and the camera bags, with a wide black felt marker. And on the lens caps

after sanding 'm lightly with fine sanding paper. I've also cut little pieces of black tape to

cover the brand logos on the cams.

The brand names on the lenses are visible and legible, but only to those with excellent

eyesight, and IF they come very close.

NOT standing out in the crowd is the first thing you must take care of. It'll give you

considerably more peace of mind.

Have fun!

Actually, if the camera is stolen from you.. say taken from around your neck by force, then that's robbery. You're now the victim of a violent crime and your insurance should cover the replacement value 100%. If you want, like the Greg said you can get a special insurance rider to cover just the camera. That may be the actual piece of mind you're looking for. Or wait for the next Canon body offering and get something not as valuable and sell the 5D.

I've had alot of people look at my camera (5D) and lens (24-105mm or 100-400mm) while using it. I just figure they're envious not criminals. However, I am a retired cop and authorized to carry a concealed weapon. he he he

Those that don't use high-end dSLR equipment will undervalue the cost of your stuff. If my wife knew how much this stuff cost I'd be in trouble. Theives will know the real price of your stuff. Cautious is good, being overly cautious may deprive of you good opportunities. I wouldn't shoot around drunks because they'll want to touch or ask a lot of questions. I'm always on the lookout for strange characters. I just keep an eye on them and go about my business. I don't leave my equipment out in open spaces, even at work and definitely not at the beach. I keep equipment hidden whether it's in my car or office. I think this is normal. If I shoot downtown early morning or late night I carry my handy leatherman. But if confronted by a robber I imagine I would hand over my stuff with no hesitation and possibly give the guy some advice about exposure time:)

Equipment is replaceable (it may take years to buy it again) but opportunities can be once in a lifetime.

I'm not sure about the firearms-based answers, but then I live in rural England!

Personally, I would be as upset about someone stealing a five pound note from me as my 5D + white lens, so value doesn't some into it. But that doesn't mean you can stop it happening!

Get insurance and if someone threatens your health or your family's health because they want your camera, just give it to them. It's a lump of metal and plastic and can be replaced (by the insurance company).

Of course, if if you have a 70-200 and a battery grip on it you could swing it at them and probably remove their head! :)

Eddie:

How many cameras have you had stolen in the past?

You're being silly, and you will get over it. But it's perfectly normal.

I remember when I bought my first Leica, I was petrified at first. I eventually didn't think anything of it. It's just another tool. So is the 5D. It's just an upscale hammer. :)

Eric

Simon: Yes I'm in the UK also, the North East and I suppose I should feel safe with all the cameras around the town, but they are there for a good reason. When I lived in Hertfordshire you could leave your car unlocked and it was perfectly safe, you can't do that here, lol

Eric: Yes you're right. Cheers.

I'm just looking at mine. I didn't like the blazing CANON DIGITAL EOS strap, and swapped it for an old black strap off a Pentax. The lens I currently have on it is the 50mm f1.4. With that slung on your shoulder, it looks pretty old fashioned and low key, nothing says pricey digital. And it's good for low light, and easy to make the most of opportunities.

I concur though, when I do take the arsenal of lens in a bag, I get nervous.

I agree, What thief would know the difference between a 5d, 30d or even an xti, they would just look the same to them, thief steals what's the easiest to steal, the value is secondary to them. So you should keep even your xti in a safe place if you dont want it stolen, it doesnt mean that it is relatively cheap, it wont get stolen as much as a 5d could.

Is there an statistic record anywhere about the numbers of reported cameras stolen?

FWIW, I think a point and shoot is more compelling to steal, because it is easier to sell.

I agree with the statement, "I'm just looking at mine. I didn't like the blazing CANON DIGITAL

EOS strap, and swapped it for an old strap." I use a Domke strap (on all my cameras), but

really the sheer size of the camera is a giveaway (mine has the battery pack). In the event of

risky places I carry a Buck double 3" blade knife, one a wide straight blade and one a serrated

blade for cutting twigs and stuff. Not much help really, mostly mental, but if all else happens

I have something.

There's always some damned fool/drunk who thinks you'll just hand him your gun when he says so, so you have to shoot him if you pull it.

Probably more likely than theft is some drunk who wants to play with your camera and breaks it, or wants to fight when you won't let him, and there you are trying to protect yourself and your valuable gear. Not easy to do.

<p><i>Get a gun permit.</i></p>If you go that route, you'll need a lot more than that. You'll also need a gun, and to learn how (and when) to use it. Insurance is much less expensive (especially if the thief, upon which you pull your gun, has a friend with a gun that you don't see), and it will help you in many more circumstances.