D vs Non-D and D200 metering without flash

chris_mitsuoka

While the D200 and AF-D lenses can do 3D ambient metering, it offers no real advantages over 2D ambient metering.

D functionality is only useful for flash work. however other changes (optical design or focus gearing usually) often make the D versions more desirable. For example the 28/2.8 AF-D is much better optically than the plain AF version and the 70-210 f4-5.6 has faster focus gearing in D form.

Generally speaking, the advantage of having D is fairly limited. The advantage is mainly under some flash photography situations. Especially with digital, since you can easily check the lighting with the histogram and do some fine tuning, the advantage of precise metering is greatly reduced.

However, the D version for some lenses have a different optical design so that the price difference could be due to those other reasons. If you would like to discuss that, you need to specify exactly which lens you are talking about. Moreover, Nikon replaced most AF non-D lenses with AF-D versions in the early 1990's, so most non-D lenses are older. That might account for some of the price difference also.

To elaborate on Shun's answer,

The 28mm f2.8 is the only lens I know of that has a different optical design between the non-D and D version: the D version is a major improvement.

The 70-210mm f4-5.6 and 80-200mm f2.8 both had substantial changes to their AF gearing rations between the non-D and D versions. Again, the D versions are major improvements.

Any other lens, I'd pretty much ignore the D.

Joseph, technically all AF-S and G lenses are also D. For example, the 300mm/f4 AF was subsequently updated to the 300mm/f4 AF-S, which is D. Of course most people refer to the latter as AF-S since that is the biggest difference. The two versions are optically different.

And as discussed recently, the 2nd AF-D version of the 80-200mm/f2.8 has a tripod collar, and that is why people are willing to pay more for it, even though all 3 AF but non AF-S versions are optically identical.

Louis - Only difference on the 60mm micro is the D function, so you'll only encounter metering differences (with or without flash) at distances beyond macro range. I believe the "cut in" for 3D features is 3 feet.

Bruce - I've never had an opportunity to test those side by side. I did feel the same thing about my 135mm DC, a slight difference between my old pre-D and a friend's D, but when I counted the screwdriver revs, I realized they were the same, and the difference in speed (and sound) meant my older lens was due for a clean and lube.

Shun - You're right, I didn't take into consideration the AF-S, AF-I, or G versions, but those are factors that affect used lens prices much, much more than the difference between D and pre-D versions of aperture collar, screwdriver lenses.

Acronym time, which do you like better for "good old AF" lenses?

SWAC - screwdriver with aperture collar

SAC - screwdriver aperture collar

ACS - aperture collar screwdriver

At the end of the day, the camera only sets aperture and/or shutter speed based on its metering. You get the same settings coming back to you whether you have D or non-D, 2-D matrix or 3-d matrix. There are a handful of lenses where the D version has other improvements, but normally there is no difference. Many consumers think they need a "D" lens for "D"igital, which isn't the case, but may also account for some of the price difference.