Bibble 4.9.5, and nikon D50 RAW

mike_cones

I downloaded Bibble 4.9.5, the promo version to evaluate.

I shoot in raw and JPEG, There is a very clear difference in the JPEGs and RAW

pictures. I notice this in vibrant orange/red/yellow images but also in blue and

other colors. The JPEG?s remain same but the RAW files color become flat.

Is there an issue in RAW conversion? Or is there some setting In Bibble that I

need to get to?

Due to the fact that Nikon encodes important information in the NEF (raw) file spec, the images are different because only the jpegs reflect the in-camera application of many settings. That information resides in the NEF files too, but due to its proprietary nature, Bibble can't read it.

This is another reason why we need a full and complete open NEF file spec from Nikon which should be made available to any software developer who wants it.

You may also notice the JPEG is sharper. I suspect this is due to in camera processing...

I usually compare this to comparing a print from a negative to a slide. A slide will show you the actual picture you took (good or bad), a print will show you a 'automatically adjusted' picture - so it 'fixes' the errors you made. Or, may automatically adjust it wrong (hence why beach pictures get screwed up in a print, but not a slide...)

If it's flat, I wonder if your exposure is spot-on or not.

I for sure am not an expert in D50's, but don't see this with Bibble and D2x or D1x, unless I screw it up.

I don't see a way to change a 'standard' default, but you could save a settings with it adjusted the way you want, and then load/paste it into pictures. That's what I typically do with Bibble anyway (load first picture in same light/config, get it right, then c-n-p to the other similar images/exposures).

pat