Bad photos.

namnguyen

I was wondering too "who said that" They look good, some really good as I continued looking they were stronger than the first few. Hoping you will be posting more than the 25. It looks like it may have been tight quarters? Or just hard to get clear shots because of crowding? Are the B&W's film?

Congrats!

You did a nice job some are really good, a good pj job also. I don't have much of a problem with what I see but my critique is what I don't see, more B&G, more Bride close up, more wide shots of the scene to get a sense of the story of the day. For two days of shooting you may have all that, are those the 25 best or are there more to post?

To me the photos were ok at best. They're not horrible, but none was spectacular either. To me, something is missing. I can't put my finger on it, but it's like a hamburger without the meat. Maybe not enough B+G Shots, or the shots that you showed us doesn't really flow to give us a context? Anyhow, just my opinion.

thanks!

well, my equipment was only my old D70 and 24 85mm AFS + 50mm 1.8 Nikkors, and a SB 600.

it was a very crowded quarter, since hundreds of people came (it's tradition in Vietnam and some other places that the whole village shows up to bless the couple).

I did not have my film camera with me, since I cant process BnW films in VietNam, they dont even sell the chemicals.

I shot about 900 images, those 25 were summed up as I tried to tell the story. I'll probably be uploading more. There were a lot of BnG shots, as well as portraits of the bride herself...

I think if you post more than the 25 it will tell a better more complete story. I wondered about the crowding as I once second shot an Egyptian wedding and the photographer and I had to elbow our way into position for most of the day. It looks like you got some good shots when you had the space, but others look like snap shots when you may have been crowded.

It is also difficult for some of us not knowing what a traditional Vietnamese wedding "story" should look like- though if told and photographed really well the photos should tell the story. Think of that as you choose which images to add to your gallery.

The photos are okay. Some are nice. Many are average. Good job for a first wedding. But

as mentioned, I hope there are a lot more. Many of the posted ones look very similar.

There's not enough variety. Many look like they were shot from very similar perspectives.

I'd suggest trying to work with more angles and more interesting compositions. Try

getting some detail shots as well as some environmental stuff (portraits and just scenery).

Also, a few nice relaxed portrraits of the bride, groom, and others would be nice as well.

Maybe you have some of that in the ones you didn't post. It seems like a lot of the day is

missing. <p>Also, the color looks kind of funky in a few of the photos also. There's also

some noise/grain in some of them, but that might just be the processing technique or

something.

I would want them to pay attention to the photographer, and possibly obey your orders.

You do not chase them on the street to take a picture, unless there is a different culture there.

You as a wedding photographer are important person there for them, and may need to enforce some posing, etc.

Perhaps most of your pictures would not find place in a professional photographer portolio.

They are good for an amateur. Wedding deserves better.

I think the photos are fine. My guess is that you had to chase down the groom and bride because they were on some sort of march or something which is part of Vietnamese culture.

So the story is bride gets ready, future husband marches to brides house. Then they both march somewhere to get married and then they get married.

I don't agree with making them "pay attention to the photographer, and possibly obey your

orders" nor a "need to enforce some posing, etc.".<p>

If going after a documentary / journalistic approach, I think he accomplished that.

Personally, I don't like a lot of posing. Of course, I think the 25 photos posted lack some

variety and do not show a great deal of compositional awareness (some, but not very

advanced). There needs to be some wider angle shots and more of a story telling vibe. Too

many shots look like they were shot with the zoom extended and standing at a distance. Get

closer, interact with the scene and subject. Get into the story and take the viewer there.

That's photojournalism.

Nam, what a dear gift you gave to your friend.

That someone said "you do not know how to take wedding photos" presupposes a certain

way must be followed ... which may be true .... for that person, not you. If the Bride came

to you and didn't have preconcieved notions, then the friendship between you two trumps

any set of rules. If she was happy, then you should ignore uninvolved parties who are not

happy.

Comments to consider: If you want to convey a story (beginning, middle, end), you may

want to review the total shoot and add a few shots and remove a few. You should be able

to tell a complete story in 25-30 shots or so. Anything else can be added afterwards to fill

in more story detail. In building a story line using stills, not every photo has to be an

award winner. It is the total story that counts, with some images being key shots and

others adding support to the over-all story flow. Not even the great Life Magazine Essay

photographers made every shot a Pulitzer Prize winner.

Each person is entitled to their opinion, mine is that there are a few shots you did that I

would add to my portfolio if I had taken them.

All the best, and a good life to your friends.

<p>The image <a href="http://flickr.com/photos/namnguyen/363924591/in/

set-72157594490771636/">here</a> is a well-

composed, tender B&G portrait. </p>

<p>I think the problem is one of editing. There are some average photos, with cluttered

backgrounds, etc, mixed in with some very good images. I think you should be more

selective. Choose the very best 30 or 40 images, and leave the marginal images out. </

p>

Most seem rushed or composed in a weird/quick way that doesn't look pleasing to my eye at least. But there are some good ones. The best one is this one here. Tells more of a story and is well composed, etc. I actually think it's a really great picture - wedding or not:

<P>

<A href=" on the way back to his place Favorite One</A>

</P>

Bogdan

I agree with *some* of the above. Fairly good for a first wedding gig, I'd say but definately

the editing and sequencing of the shots needs to be improved. There needs to be other

parts of the day and other subjects (people, places, details) shown. 25 photos is not a lot.

There could definately be more. A few of the photos are very good. Some are average. A

few are not so good. As someone already mentioned, not every photo in a wedding album

or photo series needs to be amazing. You're telling a story and there needs to be some

shots to fill in the main events and get you from one peak to the next peak. <p>

I'd suggest going through all the photos and really spending some time on picking out a

better set of shots that represent the 2 days better. These 25 are still very good for a first

time.

For those that don't do Vietnamese wedding, please don't bash the guy's works! Vietnamese wedding is Hard Work and pay is not enough to survive in the business! You up at 6:00 AM and won't be home until after midnight! You have the B&G plus their parents and relatives to deal with. The parents is in control of the wedding as well as the B&G relative. The oldest have the saying in it as well. The parents have more power and controlling the wedding over the B&G even though the B&G is paying for the wedding. Most traditional parents hated photojournalist styles and taking detail pictures that do not include people. They want their relatives, friends and guest in the pictures most of the time. You will get complains from the B&G parent if you only shoot photojournalist. You have to go with 70% formal and 30% photojournalist.

The guests & relatives. Well, there will be at least 50-100+ people in a 15x15 room and no room for you to move around during the ceremony.

The March! Yes, like the author said ... no Cadillacs or limo. and the street is very narrow in Vietnam as well.

the groom will march over the bride house. do the traditional ceremony. bring the bride back to his house. do another traditional ceremony. after ceremony, if there is church, they walk to church nearby together. If there is no church, then they stay at the Groom house, chatting & eating until reception start. The reception might be in the groom house as well if the couple can't afford to rent restaurant.

The Timing. The date of which the B&G is getting marry is also important as the time of the day as well. It is a very strong believe in the Vietnamese cultures and that why you see a lot red & yellow in Vietnamese wedding.

I think they're great. They have your style attached to them and that's saying a lot. Many photog's can do great lighting and textbook composition but their pics look just like the next guy w/ good lighting, etc. Yours have a definite style (what other people may call poor lighting and composition) and I could probably pick a print of yours out of a line up! Good job!

I really like a lot of the photos and I share favorites with previous posters. The clutter doesn't bother me so much, as it conveys what happened that day - a crowded, happy celebration attended by hundreds. If eevery shot were cluttered, it would bother me, but that isn't the case. Nice work!

thanks to you guys really much! that's what I called "constructive critics". and sorry for havent been able to get back soon enough!

let me answer some of your questions

I have added some new pictures to tell a more completed story. they all have description now, too.

I have a tendency to either have no grain at all, or a lot of grain, so I only shoot with ISO 200 400 and 1600. and the night before the wedding day the lighting was NOT at all sufficient.

like this one image

eyes

was shot at 1/50s f/1.8 ISO 1600 and still underexposed by 1 full stop.

Be assured that I'm not trying to excuse myself. :)

Ni, again, thanks for the idea of "lacking in compositional awareness". that helped a lot! but about the use of wide angle, just as Kelvin said, it was almost impossible to get a 36mm angle without heavy distraction. and about the idea of me using a tele and shot from a distance - first, that was my intention: a pure journalistic approach, second, people would start posing and being serious if I got close enough, third, the crowd... :)

special thanks to Marc, "In building a story line using stills, not every photo has to be an award winner" was enlightening.

Kelvin Phan, you summed up everything for me. :) really appreciate it!!

Matt, sequence of the shots in the set was carefully arranged. As I said, I was there for 2 days, so those first night images were of the preparation day, not the actual wedding day. People eventually party for 3 days in some places. The first day was for preparation - food, decoration and dress... They slaughter buffalos, pigs and chickens. That's when a lot of people showed up to help. So party it up! :)

The big day, of course, is the day to get drunk. :)

The last day, after the couple had been married, party to "finish up the wines".

That was fun!!

There are also poor people, who live with 1200$ a year, so being able to afford a wedding was already too much. It would cost a fortune just to have beautiful decoration, not even talking about renting a restaurant. So everyone was crammed into tiny spaces of her and his houses. Street and road were narrow and in disorder...

Please be open here, dont ask me question like "they can not even afford decoration, why spend so much on all the fancy parties?". Costly but tradition has it that way.

Again, I'm not bashing anyone as "not understanding" or excusing myself. I'm just trying to give you guys a better idea about what a traditional Vietnamese styled wedding should look like. Thanks much for your opinions and your time.

• 2 weeks later...