Repaing bellows in old MF folding cameras

kevin_holmes1

I've got a couple of old medium format folders with pinholes in the

bellows. I doubt new bellows are available and I really don't want to

spend a lot of money on them. If there any "recommended" way to repair

bellows? Any materials designed for the purpose, or is at just a case

of sticking black electrical tape on them, or using some sort of black

rubber cement?

I use black electrical tape because I am cheap.

Some have tried "Liquid (electrical) Tape" which, I kid you not, I was able to buy at an electrical supply store. I have not tried it. I don't trust that it would stay stuck.

New bellows are no problem to get. The difficult part is installing them. Try these American companies:

FLEXIBLE PRODUCTS INC 14504 60th St N, Clearwater FL USA 34620

(813) 536-3142

GORTITE A & A Mfg Co., Inc., 2300 S. Calhoun Rd., New Berlin, WI USA

53151, (414) 786-1500 1994 - do single qty replacements

TURNER BELLOWS 526 Child St Rochester NY USA 14606 (716) 235-4456

Universal Bellows Co. 25 Hanse Ave Freeport NY USA 11520 (516) 378-1264. 6x6 bellows: $40 each, $7 shipping 1994

WESTERN BELLOWS COMPANY (909) 980-0606 9340 7th St #G rancho cucamonga Calif. USA 91730-5664. ad in view camera magazine 7-8/96

I have not called any of these folks in years. Their phone area codes (xxx) may have changed. Please don't expect me to have any more info on any of these guys.

Good luck!

Ken R Sunny California

A drop of nail polish will fill a pinhole in leather bellows. If you get nail polish the same color as the leather the repair is near invisible. Nail polish doesn't work for rips, splits or bigger holes.<p>

Expand the bellows to full extension. Dim the room lights and put a flashlight or penlight inside the camera. You should be able to see the holes as tiny points of light.<p>

Use a fine pointed brush to dab the nail polish right into the pinhole and it will fill it. You will know it is fixed when you can't see the light anymore. Do not collapse the bellows until polish is 100% dry; otherwise it will glue the pleats together, probably ruining your camera.<p>

Do NOT use this method on valuable collector cameras --- only users. If any of these cameras are valuable, leave them alone --- they are worth more with pinholes than with nail polish dabbed on.