Best parameters for EOS 5D?

andreas_holmstr_m

Hi guys,

I have been experimenting a bit with my 5D.

What image parameters do you use for best results?

I've been shooting mostly JPG, should I change to RAW?

Some guy made an awsome PS or C1 parameter file for the Leica M8 with slide film

(Velvia) type colors.

Is there anything similar out there for the 5D?

Thanks!

"is like burning regular gas in a Corvette"<p>

Well it really depends on the driver and the drive, right? <p>

Do you really need high performance gas to drive 30mph on city streets commuting to/

from work?<p>

Is that little old lady driving that Corvette really going to push it hard enough to make any

difference (and I've seen little old ladies with nice Corvettes)? Does that 17 year old kid

really need a Corvette?<p>

In fact, do most people really *need* a Corvette for the driving they are doing OR a Canon

5D for what they are going to be shooting? <p>

Hi Steve,

<p>

I was just suggesting that shooting RAW or JPG really depends on what he's shooting, how

he's shooting, and where the photos are going to end up. <p>

There is really no right or wrong. Sometimes RAW is better for a situation, sometimes JPG.

Unquestionably, RAW will provide more flexibility and better image quality, but many

times you don't need that extra quality and flexibility if the photos are just casual/

personal work and/or you can nail your exposures in the camera. Also, many

photojournalists shoot JPG simply because they need speed of turnaround and shoot tons

of images. As opposed to maybe a landscape or product photographer who shoots much,

much less and is concerned with the highest image quality, detail, and color control.<p>

It's hard to answer a question like "should I change to RAW?" without knowing more about

the application and also the skill level of the photographer.<p>

Cheers!

While you were talking about Parameters, I am curious to know,

If you shoot with 'Standard' after than can you change it to something else by using software. If so, what it make difference to set the desire parameter first than change the parameters after taking shot in a photo editing software?

Thanks,

Mohammad

Mohammed, if you are referring to picture styles, then yes they can be added later in DPP,

Canon's software. You can try one or another and always revert back to the one you shot until

you might find one you like. The picture styles can be customized in your camera also. You

adopt one as a starting point and then alter to taste. The manual tells you how.