Weather Resistant Lenses?

tim_hodge

Are there any Pentax lenses that are as weather resistant as the body of the

K10d? I currently have a Canon Rebel XT I want to upgrade to something that has

weather resistant seals and there is no way I can afford, L glass and a 1d

series, so the K10d looks attractive but I have not been able to find any lenses

that say they are weather resistant. Thanks, Tim

Also, does the pentax k10d need a special m42 adapter like the EOSes do to be

able meter or can it meter with out the communication from the lenses?

Again thank you for any information you can provide.

Nikon Lenses aren't sealed either. And neither are most Canon. That is to the body.

The lens is pretty weather proof in itself. the weakness is the attachment to the body. Newer Canon have gaskets. But not every lens canon made for it's pro bodies had a sealed gasket. Nor do they now. This is recent.

Realistically this isn't going to allow water during light rain or splashes.

I've used my Pentax K1000, and Program Plus in light rain (drizzle and mist) with no problems. I've used the "poorly sealed" PZ-1P (which I find sealed just fine) in light rain with no issues. Sure I don't leave it out for very long and I wipe it down before putting it in the bag but no mold on any of my lenses from K mount, KA, all the way to FA.

The newer USM/SSM lenses from my understanding in interviews will be weather sealed.

If you can't afford L glass good like affording Pentax L glass. Of course IMO for your money Pentax L is the best Japanese made glass money can buy.

Actually I think that all the white paint canon lenses and their autofocusing 1.4x and 2x teleconverters are all weather sealed. I'd guess there's 10 lenses total.

As far as focus confirmation, if you get a genuine pentax made screw mount to k mount adapter you'll have no infinity focus problems and you'll have focus light confirmation. Some of the counterfeit adapters sold everywhere are thicker thus infinity focus is not possible.

I agree its unfortunate that pentax has no weather sealed lenses. I don't think that weather sealing on the two fast pentax zooms has been claimed in their "roadmap" instead its anticipated and hoped for.

You may have to wait for 2007 to play out to see what Hoya Pentax HD will decide produce as the roadmap was issued before pentax got purchased.

Lindy

I would expect all three of the new sealed (probably) SSM DA* lenses to be priced up in L-glass territory. The body of course will remain considerably cheaper than a 1d. I imagine that the sealed body is of more importance than the lenses though; the mount and lenses themselves are generally fairly splash-resistant already.

Pentax D-SLR's can meter M42 with a simple M42-screw-to-K-mount adapter and can do center-weighted stop-down metering with the green button or on 1-dial models, the AE-L button.

-Andrew

Actually the SSM lenses are weather sealed. It's been confirmed via several channels. So it would suprise me if they aren't.

Lindy, no offense you've been very skeptical of pentax since before the K10D and you've been wrong most of the time. Thus far Pentax has met or exceeded expectations on every product brought to market.

Skepticism is good, especially if it involves your government, but theres a point when it's just a boy crying wolf.

Could the pentax SSM not be sealed? yes! Have I heard from sources that have been correct on nearly every feature and lens for the last few years that at least 2 of the SSM's are sealed? Yes.

But that doesn't change the fact that the lens isn't the point of weakness. And even the pros shooting canon for SI cover there cameras and lenses in heavy rain.

Please supply links you've dug up concerning weather sealed specs for these 2 or 3 unreleased pentax pro level lenses Justin.

I like to read all about them since this info is available now.

Please include their list prices too?

All I've seen is a group picture of the 3 a couple months back.

Its been about 6 months since the pentax roadmap was posted on the internet. Would you list the lenses on pentax' roadmap that are available for sale now?

Lindy

I guess you'll have to wait. But when they are released will you publicly appologize to me and all loyal long time pentax users for your negativity?

Afterall, you did claim the K10D didn't have a flash after you played with it for a while in the store?

Anyway, I'm just busting on you. Your theory of pentax glass drying up proved correct. However, thats not a negative because it shows 2 things 1) new people are buying pentax digital 2) less people are selling off pentax. Overall this correlates to the fact that Pentax has picked up more market share then any other SLR maker in the last 12 months.

BTW, I've landed a 35mm f/2 FA lens to go with my FA 50mm 1.4 and 24mm and 2.8 A Now I just need to land a 77mm Limited to complete my primes. I'd look for a 24mm 2.0 FA* but it's big bulky and I'd be better off buying the 12-24mm DA with the money the 24 is going to cost (at least $500).

couldn't resist, thought you should prepare to eat crow now. this actually isn't the source i was even counting on, just a simple google search.

http://pentaxlife.com/three-new-stars-by-pentax

also, just an interesting general link the to value of the K10D (with limiteds) vs. the big giant Canon rigs for backcountry use, and the last post includes a little something about the cheapo sigma fairing just fine in the rain WITHOUT weather sealing.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/5492/?skip_to_post=39022

Really the link kind of personifies pentax strategy. Smaller lighter cameras that aren't an albatros to carry but give every bit as good optical quality.

No appologies Justin.

Thanks for the link, very informative.

March is just 3 weeks away and my local Pentax dealer has been told nothing about these lenses. Brilliant marketing stategy, when their dealers need to google to learn about the new products.

I wondered where you "heard" all this information, Asahi has a very good website.

Got any more links to share that will enlighten me as to what Hoya Pentax HD is doing?

Lindy

Oh I see now this "Pentax Life" isn't an official "Asahi" website, they are just enthusiasts of pentax products. Thanks again for the link, I'm enjoying it.

Thats great you're buying up glass still Justin. I am too, yesterday I got delivered a 105mm 2.5 macro for a couple hundered less than current market typically brings these days. My short lense buying list gets smaller and smaller and without adding any brand new pentax glass.

Backwards compatability is a big plus, knowing exactly what Cult Classic lenses made in Pentax Auto aperture mount to shop for is priceless. I've got a couple more specific lenses on my short list to buy used, then I'm done with filling in my wife's pentax dslr system.

Did you see the Pentax 300mm f4 sell at ebay yesterday for $1,800 AS-IS? Not bad return on investment for a lens that wholesaled new for just $545, right?

For the same $1,800 a photographer could buy a Canon 300mm f4 IS L series lense and Canon dslr, both brand new with 1 year warantees.

Lindy

I remember it now!

Pentax Life is the Copyright name of Pentax own magazine they issued back in the 1980's and 1990's. I don't know if Pentax Life magazine is published still.

Thats why I thought Justin's link to pentaxlife.com was the official pentax info site.

Is Pentax Life magazine still currently published?

Lindy

I agree there are better deals on long lenses and zooms (teles)

Best wide angle APS lens? Pentax 12-24 DA

Best 30mmish lens not made by zeiss or leica? Pentax 31mm L FA

Best 35mm prime? Gotta say, looking at the Canon 35mm 2.0 EF I'm not impressed. Bokeh is terrible wide open. Corners are horrible (dark and soft) till atleast 5.6. And it only cost $80 less then my 35mm 2.0 FA which is excellent wide open and at the corners.

Best 40mm/43mm pancake? Is there another besides the Pentax?

Best 70mm pancake? See above

Best 75-80mm lens? From what I've seen the Pentax 77 1.8 is as good or better then the Nikon/Canon equivs.

And who makes better image stabilized primes then Pentax? Thats a trick question of course since all pentax mount lenses are IS with an IS body.

The problem is your looking at the glass half empty rather then half full. Pentax isn't Canon, and Canon, well it's not Pentax.

Personally I'm not investing in non AF glass anymore. I've got several cult classic man foc lenses. Including 2 Kiron K mount, plus a few Pentax and Tokina, but I even sold my 300mm f4 K mount (non A) of several years ago because I prefer at the long end (do I wish I had it today to make more then the $400 I sold it for? you bet). Short lenses you can hyper focus. A 20 or 24 works great using the DOF scale, so does a 28 or 35. above 70mm this really gets tough. For fast zooms Tokina has fit my bill pretty nicely (and far cheaper then Canon L glass would have). My 80-200 2.8 is a great lens, slightly softer wide open (but usable) but tack sharp at f/4. My Tokina 28-80 2.8 is equally good.

I agree until the new DA lenses come out Pentax is at a disadvantage above 100mm. but Canon and Nikon do not match them below 100mm IMO.

So for me the glass is half full, and there are free refills!!!!