Leica M2 body

Hello

I am interested in buying leica M2 body + 35mm Leica lens.

I see that the black body I see are much more expensive than the chrome one?

What is the exact reason for that?

How many black bodies were produced vs. the Chrome version?

Are there any special thing that I need to pay attention about?

Any problematic serials numbers?

Many thanks,

amit

Amit,

The M2 is a good choice, best Leica ever (simple and no "frippery".

Look for a later version with a lever rewind. The "press button" version rewind can give you problem if they are worn as you have to hold the button in while rewinding. Worn take-up shafts can cause the take-up spool to slip (overlapping images) but it can be easily rectified. If it is a well seasoned M2 the click's on the film-counter can be indistinct.

Always check rangefinder patch for clear, sharp edges and that the finder is clear with distinct bright lines. Black M2's are expensive (original) and usually thoroughly beaten up. Be prepared to pay premium for mint ones.

Repainted ones look ok (usually) but I always advice to have it checked out by a Leica technician first. A good painter is not necessarily a good technician which can show up in the reassembly phase of the job.

The combination M2/35/2 is a perfect combination. You can do most everything with it and it is small, compact and the batteries never die! As an alternative to the 35/2, which is pricey even as used, I would suggest you try the 40/1,4 Nokton with the claw filed down to give you the 35 frame.

Good M2 hunting,

Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson

Vancouver, BC

Canada

rapidwinder.com