As part of a local art gallery, I have signed up to present 6 pieces in the

community in a local establishment. The business that was selected for me was

a "members only" type restaurant where predominently affluent and the likes of

business leaders dine.

I am looking for suggestions on "do's" and "don'ts" for making selections to

hang. Specifically, I would like to target the aforementioned audience with

the opportunity to possibly sell a piece and at the same time have a fluid

presentation of similar works or as "part of a collection."

1. Would you select 6 photos from your portfolio that are similar in type?

(i.e. - 6 landscapes, 6 macro, 6 food, architecture, vehicles, etc.)

2. What type of photo might fare best? (i.e. B/W, Holga, color)

3. I'm am originally from another state. Would it be a faux pas to print and

hang images from another recognized city, state, coastline, etc?

4. Would it be cliche' to hang images of food? (i.e. macros of specific fruit,

veggies, wine bottles/glasses, cutlery, ...you get the point)

5. Would it be cliche' to display images from within the city?

Please feel free to browse my member gallery for a sense of my previous work.

Many thanks,

Eugenio

(PS. - Photo.net = the mentor I never had)

As a long time pro and a former owner of an upscale restaurant for 2 years (& never again) - my thought is this:

Check out the interior and see what would fit. Is it quiet, reserved, neuveau, chick, plain, etc. Talk to the owner and the Dining Room Manager. They will know what the clients are like. Call ahead & go at an 'off time' such as 3:00 PM.

Keep the images with the appropriate setting. Most people want wall decor to give them a 'peacful feeling' in an affluent restaurant. Food images would be my last choice, but you never know.

In my place, we had paintings of Italian landscapes and wine cellars and people loved it, but the theme was Italian. I would keep to a theme, but that could be anything.

Doug

I don't show as I'm not down with the process but restaurants are what I would suspect are called a "beige" environment.

Are you up on this term?

I'm sure you are but in case, it means the art is picked to decorate the theme and blend with the decor.

With that in mind, the individual pieces (taking management's requirements into consideration) will need to be picked accordingly.

We'll take into consideration two environments; one who wishes somebody, anybody to hang their pics to adorn their walls on a sort of floating/revolving gallery/showing to give some exposure and spice to the land (blending is not an expectation) and then there's the permanent image who's purpose is to be like a bench, table or wallpaper, part of the environment to make the place look "cool" or "chic."

You'll need to check with management so as to find out what they want cause it's "they" who you'll now be serving as "they" will be serving the "customer" as in this case it's all about "making" the customer "want" to comeback.

Hope the above gives you some ideas and insight and wishing you well with this endeavor and hope you knock em dead. :)

I have a French Style bistro and we have framed posters by Mucha and B/W photos of Paris by me. Make sure that the photos match the feel of the restaurant. <P>

To answer your questions, I would do 6 B/W of a location. Somewhere that people can relate and feel comfortable with. It's probably a sophisticated, well traveled group of patrons. You are trying to get them to connect with the art. It's a restaurant, probably not a place for controversy.

Eugenio:

You've received good advice from the other posters. I'd only add one thing, which I'm sure

you've already considered.

Show only your very best work. Be sure it is spotless, perfect. No dust spots, no stains, no

banding in inkjet prints, no cheap papers. Make sure it is matted and framed beautifully

and professionally. Clean, quality mats, perfect mat cuts, clean glass, properly assembled

frames, no dust under the glass, no dings or scratches on the frame.

As much as you'd think these things should be obvious, I have observed time and again

that they are not obvious to everyone. I think sloppy presentation shows disrespect for the

viewer. If you don't care enough to show only your best, why should the viewer think of

buying it?

Congratulations on your exhibit, and much success to you.

Excellent advice already given leaves little to add but one technical note and a personal opinion as to how I would do it:

I reiterate be guided by the restaurant management apropos what they think will `want the customers to comeback`.

I assume the lighting will be subdued, perhaps incandescent on dimmers: consider this with regard to viewing colours and contrasts in the final print, especially the effect that low degree Kelvin lighting will have on Maroons, Purples and Reds compared to Greens and Blues.

You need to consider the colour temperature of the lights for the viewing of the final PRINT, which is often forgotten in gallery displays of photographs.

What I would do:

Consider a 3, 2, 1. Three in one theme, two in another and one stand alone.

Diversity equals in interest.

After discussions with the restaurant management and getting a feel for the establishment, I would shoot six originals, as a commissioned work.

Taking images from an established portfolio is merely marketing one`s work.

Hanging six commissioned pieces puts the onus squarely on the artist to perform.

Please let me know what you decide and how your work is received.

Congratulations and Break a Leg.

WW

Thank you all for your thoughtful and well guided responses. I appreciate the variety and depth of suggestions.

For this particular exhibit, I will more than likely seek out new material. A visit to the restaurant is a must as I am interested to see what their current decor consists of. My initial feeling is to present images of our coastline or something of a nautical genre in black & white print.

Thank you again.

- Eugenio