Nikon F90X shutter problem

debesh_narayan_mishra

I have been using my Nikon F90X for over 6 years now. However, it seems that a

problem has cropped up. The display shows "Err" and it blinks instead of

displaying the shutter speed and aperture settings. The shutter can be pressed

and the film advances to the next frame. However, the film does not get exposed

at all. Sometimes, the shutter speed and aperture settings are displayed, but,

on pressing the shutter (and having advanced the film by one frame), the display

turns back to "Err". I normally use the subject modes. I have tried M,A,S,P

modes, but these also do not work.

If you have encountered such a problem, please inform me about the nature of the

problem and how it can be overcome.

If it will require an expensive repair, should I go for it or should I go for a

digital SLR like the D200 or the D80 in order to be able to use my existing

accessories?

Thanks in advance.

I can't remember exactly but as recalled this moment as if memory services right, I had encountered such a problem long time ago when I got my newly acquired SB-10 power-grip attached AND with the battery kind of in low condition as I guessed ... but not sure if it REALLY was already low ... then the shutter started malfunctioning with an Err appeared and gone away with a fresh set of batteries. One time it happened in a late night on San Francisco golden bridge where it's kind of cold (windy) and another as recalled also in lower temp, but they all not in freezing cold for sure. Anyway, my suspicious on this eventually gets sort of proved as it's very likely caused by the MB-10 as I found that the battery cells loaded in it have always been doing a self-training as its sucking out all the juices in about a month without any use consistently, surprise! Then I've concluded on my own that those two Err incidents occurred must because betteries were indeed really low due to the self-training of the MB-10 but I didn't have any idea why their getting low at the time 'cause I knew they're NOT yet. However, I've no idea at all about the MB-10 as to why it's designed this way or if I got a defect or malfunctioning sample, no clue but never use MB-10 from now on while the original battery cells in N90s never die now so that I wouldn't expect to see the Err again! If that's your case, simply remove the MB-10 and try again to see if the problem completely going away?! Good luck.

A few years ago I had a similar problem which was caused by insufficient power from the batteries. Nikon advised me not to use Duracell AAs as they had a habit of suddenly loosing their juice. I switched to another brand & changed my batteries more regularly & haven't had the problem since.

Thanks for your contributions. This problem was earlier a little erratic. Yes, I have earlier had this problem which seemed to go away with a fresh set of batteries. But, it seems that the batteries do run down very quickly as the problem reappeared within 2/3 rolls.

If anyone could explain whether it could be a shutter problem or some other problem, it will be of help. If you have had any repairs carried out for this, please let me know.

The F90x was my #1 camera for about as many years as you have owned yours. I also had a weird incident where the camera started audibly chirping at me. To the best of my recollection, the F90 had no capability to make sound! It was the low batteries, it turned out. If you've ever used Nikon speedlights much, they also do all sorts of crazy things when the batties get low.

In all my film cameras, I now use only AA lithiums. Their lifespan is such that they run at full voltage right up to the end, then die immediately. To my mind, this eliminates the possibility for some of the "partial voltage gremlins". Lithiums weigh nothing and run forever, so it only makes sense. Best of luck.

Let me give you all a bit more my observation and history as why I concluded MY MB-10 has the power "leakage". I have measured the MB-10 output using multimeter cross + and - contacts while there's absolutely no signs of any possible current leakage around then for sure, then found that the voltage (6.xx volt in fresh) slowly kept dropping ... let's say about 0.xx volt in several hours or so constantly no matter rechargeable or regular cells, it'd do that and cause the whole battery drained out till it's die completely in about a month. I hope that's the MB-10 I got a defect one and NOT by design 'cause I do also own MB-23, MB-10, MD-4 and MD-12, none of them behaved like that ever, period. I would thus suggest everyone who has a MB-10 power-grip should do once such a test as well and see if you've gotten one like that.