Telephoto zoom lens 70-200mm f2.8

dominic_tran

For indoor photography such as wedding ceremomies, receptions with dimmed

light, I have questions regarding zoom lens 70-200mm :

1. In general what focal lengths do you use the most , 70mm, 100mm, 200mm ?

2. If 150mm focal lenghth is used then the speed must be at least 1/200 , in

this situation the ambient light may be not adequate , and you need to use

flash. Some film cameras have max. sync. speed at 1/125 , if sync speed is set

at 1/ 125 the would be blurred due to the movement of the lens . What is the

solution ?

3. If you want to have the background blended well to the subject ( not so dark

compared to subject ), then you need to set the sync. speed at low level ( 1/30

for example ), low speed will result in blurred pictures . What are the

solutions ?

Thanks for your inputs

1. I don't use a zoom for wedding ceremonies but telephoto primes. I don't often use a long lens at receptions at all. Maybe a moderate tele sometimes. During the ceremony, there is no one focal length of use--it depends on how far back I must remain and how big the church is.

2. If using a long telephoto with no flash, the only solution is to up the ISO until you can use the available widest aperture at the shutter speed you need. If you can use flash, dragging the shutter will get you sharp flash lit subjects even when using a slowish shutter speed, as long as the ambient light is underexposed in relation to the camera settings (by at least two stops or so). Also, if the flash in underexposed, you will possibly not be able to keep the margin needed.

3. See #2 and #1.

A note. During the ceremony, use a tripod and shoot during times where there is the least motion--pauses between speaking, etc.

I wouldn't over think it get the subject exposed properly - Set the camera on manual or A priority for 2.8 and see what you get. Up the ISO as needed. If you have IS or VR you should be fine at low shutter speeds. Better ask on the flash for the ceremony. It may be possible to bounce wireless flash if the ceilings are really high and it is not a major distraction. The smartest thing is to go to the church and practice before.

I LOVE my 70-200 2.8L IS lens and use it during the ceremony on my second camera, a 20D, on a tripod (IS off when on the tripod). Essentially the longest focal length is 320 mm and I've taken the shutter as slow as 1/20 sec without noticeable blur (as long as your subject aren't moving too quickly it's no problem).

I also shoot with the 70-200 a lot during the reception (it's a bear, though!) and have used it, handheld, with a flash at 1/30 sec. There's sometimes a little blur, but if I hold it still and keep the IS on, the pictures are very sharp.

Jen

Well with the IS version you require 3 stops less, so camera shake with slower shutter speeds won't be so much of an issue. You will have to watch subject movement though.

Using flash will freeze the subject but any background movement will blur (which is less important). You won't be allowed to use flash at the ceremony though.

My approach is similar to Nadines. I use primes. However, my shooting partner often uses

his Canon 70-200/2.8 IS with very good results.

The best way to look at ceremony shots is to plan for the worst. Very few churches allow

flash during the ceremony. So, I never approach any indoor ceremony without a tripod.

Even brightly lit churches get dark if it becomes overcast or are a night in the winter : -) I

also use a tripod for formals anyway.

Available light shooting indoors can be done at much lower shutter speeds if on a tripod.

The idea of a zoom is to be able to reach out at will and shoot a 200mm image. IMO

shooting @ 200mm using a 1/15th shutter speed is beyond my abilities even with Image

Stabilization or Vibration Reduction lenses. Others may well be more skilled.

When shooting available light work at a reception, I sometimes resort to a monopod.

I have resorted to using a 70-200mm 2.8 w/ bounce flash at receptions when the ambient lighting is < 1/60 and i will stay at the > 150mm range. I use the 70-200 for probably 35% of my reception captures. The remaing shots are usually done with my wider primes using natural light only or the 28-75 2.8 with the same procedure as the 70-200.

For ceremonies, i never use zooms - only primes and never in conjuction with flash - natural light only.

"2. If 150mm focal lenghth is used then the speed must be at least 1/200 , in this situation the ambient light may be not adequate , and you need to use flash. Some film cameras have max. sync. speed at 1/125 , if sync speed is set at 1/ 125 the would be blurred due to the movement of the lens . What is the solution ?"

In shooting natural light only - then yes, the minimum shutter needs to be 1/focal lenght. However, you can create soft light with a long bounce and offset your light/flash ratio to obtain natural looking light and stop action for crisp images at the same time. I use my 200MM all the time at shutters around 1/15 - 1/60th.

"3. If you want to have the background blended well to the subject ( not so dark compared to subject ), then you need to set the sync. speed at low level ( 1/30 for example ), low speed will result in blurred pictures . What are the solutions ? "

Flash ratios and having enough of it (light) to create an umbrella of light. Sometimes not possible if you have open sky and no interrior walls...but more times possible than not there is a solution.

I am currently working on a 5X7 album of selects for a wedding conducted the beginning of December - and i happen to have a couple 200mm samples on hand.

This is a typical example of what i mentioned above. Both were shot at 200mm. The top one 1/40th and the second one at 1/30th.<div>00JeWy-34585184.thumb.jpg.66df607a23478056cc25c86843f64168.jpg</div>

Hi Jammey, the 2 pictures look good . I have a few questions :

1. At 200mm did you use VR/IS zoom lens or regular non VS/IS zoom lens mounted on tripod, or regular non VS/IS zoom lens without ripod?.

2. It seems like you metered the background and stopped downn (1 to 1.5 stops), very low aperture, and the TTL flash was set at -1 FEC . If I am wrong , please give details of your setting .

Thank you .

Actually Dominic I hand hold my Sigma 70-200 F2.8 non image stabilization (You really do not need IS for moving subjects). With proper flash ratios, you do not need a tripod either....at least that's my opinion. Matter of fact, i never implement a tripod. These images were shot in Manual mode, and yes, i generally like to stay about 1 - 1.5 full stop below background ambient and constantly making adjustments as i read the meter through the viewfinder.....however, the key is the light and how you fill the space with it before you. With a 200MM, you can go through heavey douses of battery power for the extra light that is needed. But....if one is doing wedding photography, battery power should be the least of their worries. I have the TP and 4 battery packs for my 550EX's.

The background ambient was actually a lot darker than this and a lot of that light is from the umbrella effect from my celing/side bounce.