3rd party alternatives

bob_peters

Why would you want to go cheap for the flash when you spent all that money on the 5D? The 430EX is one of the best values out there - I use it with my 5D and I love it and honestly I would never consider trying to save money on such an important piece of your equipment. I consider the 430EX being cheap - really!

In a similar position, I wanted a cheap ETTL(2) flash for occasional use and went for the Sigma DG ST. It is more powerful and cheaper than the 430ex and has worked just fine for me. Of course I don't get that warm feeling of OEM goodness when I use it. Also...

ETTL2 is afunction of the body, not the flash, but that doesn't stop sigma from saying they support it.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/flashes_flashes_details.asp?id=3257&navigator=1

I had a Sigma EF 500 Super for a time. It's a near clone of the 550EX, as far as specs go. Mine worked fine, and the exposures were as good as the 550EX I own. They also cooperated well together in a wireless E-TTL scheme. However, they are not built as well as a Canon Speedlite, and you can tell just buy looking. Also their operational interface is more confusing, and high speed sync disengages by itself if you use a slow shutter speed (mildly annoying). I also had to send mine in to get it fixed under warranty, but I have to say, Sigma did a great job of fixing it right and turning it around very fast.

The advantage of the Super, as opposed to the cheaper ST is the built in optical slave, wireless E-TTL support and manual control. If you don't need those the ST is probably the cheapest thing out there with reasonable specs.