Karl Schuler

Some time ago I have been informed on this site that the camera settings like

sharpening level do not influence the RAW files, they only influence the JPG

files. Now as I am starting shooting in RAW, I have the feeling that the RAW

files are influenced by several camera settings. May be not by others. How can

I find out which camera settings have an impact on the RAW files and which

ones not? Thanks for your informed answer. Karl

Karl,

there are camerasettings (like iso) that obviously influence the resulting raw file. There are other settings (like sharpening, picture-style and the like) whose settings are stored in the rawfile, but who were not applied on the image data.

The second thing is the program you use for raw-conversion. Some rawconverters use the stored settings of parameters as default values, other programs ignore these settings completely. Depending on what program you use, you can get the feeling that parameter settings influence your results. Important to know is, except of iso-setting, aperture exposure and focal length, all other settings were not applied on imagedata.

Rainer

Karl,

I use Adobe's 'Camera Raw' plugin (ACR version 3.6) within Photoshop Elements 3 ... This plugin also works With PS-E4 and PS-E5, as well as PS-CS2 and PS-CS3 (but not with PS-CS iirc).

Another one that I occasionally use is Canons DPP ... this can be downloaded from Canon for free ... you can only install it on a computer where Canon basic SW (that comes with the camera) is installed.

And yet another one is Rawshooter Essentials. (You couldn't use this, because it doesn't support your 5D).

Rainer

Thank you all for your information. I think with your help I have made a big step ahead. I slowly start understanding what you are talking about and why some photographers are able to create photos with a brilliance I could only dream about. Last night I processed my first RAW format photo in DPP. Best regards. Karl

• 1 year later...