I typically shoot about 800-1100 images for a wedding and cut it down to 700-

900 images. The adage of show more and they will buy is somewhat true, but the

selection process seems a necessary evil for the brides(and families). I've

recently thought about diplaying (two portfolios), one which is "My favorites"

about "150" key images and the other portfolio of the entire set (after

deleting the ones not worthy)...Question??? What process works well for you so

your clients have a truly representation of the wedding without making it so

tediously large a effort?

This has been discussed before. I am old school and probably show around 120 to 160 images to the bride and groom, probably around 200 to 225 images taken. Too many times I have been told, "how are we gonna decided on the ones we want, with so many to choose from" and you are showing 700 to 900. I still believe, only show your best stuff, the average quality stuff can be taken by the quest.

Now I freely admit I use 120 film still, if I did use digital, I would probably take more images, but 800-1100, not hardly.

<p>You seriously shoot around 1100 images? If that's the case then I see why getting to 150

selects is difficult. Each to their own.... I tend to shoot around 300-400 images, and aim to

get around 150 selects. Naturally the editing process is a lot easier. I'm not a fan of quantity

- perhaps because I developed my style using film and never wanted/needed to adjust my

shooting rate. I have no real suggestions for you except to point out that it's easier to do

your selections in camera rather than on the computer.</p>

Without being mistaken for being rude,,,I hope to hear from digital shooters that design albums that are collage type (Yervant, Celentano, Pfister, Ferro's etc),,coffee style (Zook Book, Azuka, Graphi album). And spend 8-10 hours with the couple! Please dont take my post as slamming Film,,,not my intention...but I cant imagine shooting 120 or so,,,just not my style.

How are you evaluating what is a keeper? Based on averages, you're shooting 3 exposure every two minutes for 8 hours straight. If you have trouble finding the top 20% out of that, maybe you could chnage your standards or HOW you evalute them? When you say portfolio, I'm assuming you're meaning a proof book? Such a thing with ~800 shots isn't chump change either and that'd seem to be a place to cut costs. TOO many choices can overwhelm a couple also.

Barry, I'm shooting about 700-1000 images per wedding and I calculated that I end up posting 80% - 86% of all the images taken to the online gallery for the B/G, family, and guests to purchase. I also pull out about 150 to put into a slideshow that will reflect the highlights of the day. Most of the images that will end up in the album are also found in the slideshow as well.

I don't really think it is a problem, if you wish to take that many images. I just am trying to think 'why that many' is necessary. Maybe the type of weddings you do are different Barry? I would have to guess you have 15 shots of the B & G cutting the cake, 25 shots of the Bride dancing with her dad, 30 shots of the garter toss, 15 shots of the toast, etc ??

I just don't seem to see the need for so many. It is YOUR client and YOUR camera, so do as you wish, but if you Post Process that many images, your gonna be sitting at a computer for a long, long time.

I usually come home with about 800-1000 shots but I hardly ever give more than 250.

Every once in a while it hits 300, but not often. I'm shooting digital, but I don't like giving

all the "okay" shots. If there's 50 from the toast and they look really happy and great in

one or two, they only get those one or two.

I put all the keepers in a SmugMug gallery and send them the link. Nobody's ever

complained about having to go through 250 pics. Once or twice I've had people ask if they

can see the rest ... that's a NO-NO! :)

I say you should post them all so they can see what they're getting, but make a slideshow

or a smaller gallery with the best for them to forward to family and friends. No guest will

want to see 900 pics!

Good luck!

I shoot more like a M60 machine gun. bang ban bang! bang bang bang.

I shockingly came up with 800 images for a four hour job on New years. She kept 250 or so...

Today, I'm meeting a bride today for full day coverage.

Really need to take more time and watch more, shoot less and edit to stricter standards... but somehow I feel guilty as if I'm cheatingthe B+G.

I get nervous doing it in camera, though.

Opt in instead of Opt out. I use the Photoshop slideshow from Bridge and as I manually go from one picture to another, type a 5 for the real wow's and a 3's for the gotta-have-it-for-the-client. Then just (from bridge) View - 3 stars or better.

Opting in instead of opting out is the key, though. Don't justify why you should eliminate a picture. Instead justify which one you should keep. (and maybe create a 2 category that you don't show but can give the bride if she insists on "seeing them all" I don't do that, but it would be useful if they insisted)

I agree with Ann, I'll typically shoot 400-500 images at a five hour wedding, more than I was taknig on film, but hey you don't have to watch the film budjet now. I open them all in bridge and rate them 1-5 all images over 3 are selected for the B+G to choose from and the ones rated 0-2 are not shown unless expressly requested by the couple. If there are really bad photos they are deleted.

Here's my list of key shots:

Wedding Shot List

Before Ceremony

___ Bride preparing (optional)

___ Flowers and food setup

___ Tables

___ Candids of people arriving/mingling

Ceremony

___ Shot of bride coming in

___ Closeups of exchange of vows and rings and kiss(telephoto)

___ Shots of couple exiting

Posed pictures after ceremony

___ B&G (3 shots each camera)

___ B&G with family (3 shots each camera)

___ B&G with wedding party (3 shots each camera)

Reception

___ Bouquet toss

___ Cake cutting

___ Toasts

___ First dances

___ Table shots

___ Candids

I normally shoot around 400-600 shots. After kicking the bad ones ,and redundant shots out, I will post around 300-350 shots on Collages.net

The B&G as are amazed at getting that many photos to view. I never show the crap. Although I get ask from time to time about showing every photo taken. Out of the photos that get posted,I don't believe that more than 150 use in a album design. Good luck ;)

I'm just starting out, PJ style, and usually end up with 600-850 shots between rehearsal (some great moments, helps me stay on top of last-minute changes and stake out my perspective, familiarizes me with the bridal party), wedding, and reception. (that's with two photographers, so there's a lot of the cake cutting from two angles, etc.) I aim for 150-200 or so to show, which usually starts by me finding the best photos (about 25), then the best of what's left. I do any needed retouching on each photo I include in that amount.

I'm also a bang-bang-bang shooter. Bride opening bouquet? Three photos. Bride's mother adjusting necklace? Three photos. Makeup? At *least* three photos. It's fun, but it makes the selection process much harder. Good luck cutting things down!