Alpa reflex

I know this is streching it but I figure you guys could provide an answer. I

can't find any post related to Alpa reflex cameras on Photo net(except very

few). I could purchase an 11e which dates to the mid seventies. I found this

camera very well made and similar to Leica in build quality. I also heard very

good comments on the quality of lens that were offered with the Alpa. Could

anyone offer any insight on these cameras?

I've "played" with a number of them -- 9D, 6C, 11E -- they are, in my opinion, built better than Leicas & that 50mm Macro-Switar(earlier in 1.8; later in 1.9)is a fabulous lens -- our Tom Abrahamsson even had one adapted to a M! Having said all that, they are tricky to get used to; heavy; and I would think difficult to have repaired. But they are sweet IMHO.

I have a decent Alpa collection. I love the cameras.

But remember that they are a 70's/80's camera - I don't rely on any of the meters of my Alpa's.

I find their optics very very good, especially the Macro-Switar and Kinoptiks.

The ergonomics are fine once you get used to them (reverese film advance, front shutter button like Topcon).

They load like Nikon F's - where the back comes off.

And keep in mind that they were a very small team, and the rest of the world passed them by as far as R&D was concerned.

Service and CLA is not an issue - 3rcameras does them and the owner Radu is fabulous. http://www.3rcamera.com/

His service warranty is lifetime - see if you get that from Leica !

If you are curious, I would recommend buying one. Check ebay for prices so that you stay within market price.

Vick

I collect Alpa cameras and occasionally use them too. They certainly appear well made but they tend to be plagued with niggling faults, and getting them repaired is a difficult and expensive business. The company that made them, Mignons SA of Switzerland, were manufacturers of watch parts and the photographic range was very much a sideline. The company is long gone and spare parts are scarce.

Prices have come down a lot recently making an Alpa outfit a more affordable proposition than it was. Lenses came from a variety of manufacturers and often appear on that auction site we all know.

The jewel in the crown is the superlative 50mm f/1.9 Kern Macro-Switar lens. Most of the other lenses for Alpa were excellent by the standards of the time, without achieving the stellar reputation of the Macro-Switar. The best of them were made by Kinoptic of France, although Angenieux made lenses in several focal lengths for the Alpa mount.

There is a Leica connection in that Leica bought Kern's binocular business in the 1990s. I used to have a pair of Leica branded but Kern designed 7x30 binoculars, which were made for the Swiss army. I sold them a few weeks ago as I did not use them enough to justify owning them, but they were without doubt the best binoculars I have ever used.

I would not recommend buying an Alpa outfit to use, as the risk of failure is too high. Finding someone to repair and service them is problematic.

However, Alpas are unusual enough to make them worth collecting, and are they fun to use, but sparingly and with great care. They are more fragile than they appear. But the 50mm Macro-Switar is a lens that every competent photographer should get a chance to use at least once.

I hope my opinion helps you in some way.

Tony

Hello Francois,

I have had a number of Alpas. The last being a 10d. I love the way they feel. The balance and placement of the camera in-hand makes for very comfortable shooting. That being said, the shutter can be delicate. All four of my Alpas have had shutter problems. Mostly the loss of the slower speeds. The lenses are generally supurlative for the time of their design. The 1.8 Macro-Switar, at settings less than five feet is the sharpest lens I have ever used. The lower contrast than current lenses makes it a perfect lens for color film. As a normal distance lens, it is adequate though not stellar. The 1.9, on the other hand, is a different design using one fewer elements and is extremly sharp. I would opt for this newer design if you choose to get involved with the Alpa system. I have used the Angenieux 35/2.5 and 90/2.5 lenses and they are beautiful, sharp and snappy lenses. The 100/2 Kinoptik has to be one of the sharpest lenses ever made for a 35mm system. I have seen 16x20 enlargements that blow everything compared with it away. The lens needs its lens shade as it is prone to flaring. The whole system is quirky in ways that current systems are not. It has, after all, twenty to thirty years and more since this system was designed. Hand made cameras like the Alpa are fun to play with, but keeping them in their original tolerances can be an ivvestment. Cameras on Bald Mountain does a good job fixing any problems that arise.

Peter

I agree fully with Tony. I had a strong interest in Alpa a couple of years ago, and I bought an Alpa 11si and some lenses, including the 50/1.9 and the 100/2 Kinoptik. At the time, I tried to use the Alpa now and again but it brakes down frequently and it is a hazzle to repair them. A friend of mine has the same experience with his 11si - nice to play with, but extremely unreliable. For a user, there are also serious limitiations when it comes to ease of use and handling. Stopped down metering in one case of point. If you compare an Alpa from the 70s to a Leica from the 70s, such as the SL 2, these are worlds apart when it comes to build quality and ease of use. As a collectors piece the Alpas may still be interesting.

Some of the lenses are still interesting. The 50/1.9 is certainly good and as good as the same Leica lenses of the time. I have owned 3 of them until I found one which was good optically and mechanically, so if you plan to buy one demand to be allowed to test it first. Especially if the lens has been opened for service or something, it seems to be difficult to preserve the quality afterwards.

The Kinoptik 2/100 is superb and really second to none. I had mine converted from Alpa mount to T-mount as I also wanted to use it with Leica, and it really delivers outstanding results. However, it is very heavy and difficult to use, and it is in many ways a tripod lens only. That was the main reason why I decided to sell it again. The lens can still be ordered new from Kinoptik today but mount and optical design is unchanged since the 60s or 70s, but optically it still matches the best ones around.

• 4 months later...

Just a follow-up on the 11e. I bought it and sent it in to Radu of 3R camera as suggested by

Vick and Radu did a great job on it at a reasonable price (in line with Leica). I really like this

camera and the 50 Macro Switar 1.9 is a beautiful lens. I agree with all the coments that were

said, excellent camera but probably not as your main camera (I now use the D200...)<div>00LJxZ-36736584.jpg.58b5ba925d0f7f91a5f849db504aff9f.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...

I own 5 Alpa bodies, 1 9d, 2 11el, and 2 11 si.

One of the 11si had a problem early on, but Karl Heitz finally fixed it (under warrenty, as I bought the two 11sis new in 1988). I haven't had a lick of problems with the 11sis since. And they are my main cameras.

1 11el came (used) with a broken meter. Karl Heitz replaced it with an 11e meter. I later mounted that camera into a magazine back and motor drive, you can see a photo of that outfit on wikipedia.

As for lenses, I have the 24mm, 28mm Angeniux, the 50 1.8 macro switar and the two jewels in my collection are the Schnieders, the 45-100mm f2.8 and the 80-240mm f4.

• 2 months later...

I have a whole collection of Alpa equipment; 11si, multiple lens and accessories. With the exception of the Kinoptic 100mm f/2

lens,which is in excellent condition, everything was purchased new from Karl Heitz. The camera was completely serviced in 2003

by Karl Heitz, cleaned, lubricated, adjusted and tested with replacement of any necessary parts.

My records do not indicate the original date of purchase, however, i have never had any problems whatsoever with the 11si or

previously owned 9d camera.

The lens include a Macro-Switar 50mm 1/8, Kinoptic 100mm f/2, Automatic Alpa-Curtagon 35 mm f/2.8 Lens, & Automatic Tele-

Xenar 135 mm f/3,5 Lens.

There are also bellows, extension tubes, filters, lens hoods, a case & different straps, manuals and closeup booklets.

Most of it is in mint condition, some excellent to mint.

The Alpa equipment is in a class of its own and to me has always been to superior to Leica , which I sold years ago.

I am just not using this camera any more, and am interested in selling all of my Alpa equipment in one package. I am not

interested in selling any of it piecemeal.

• 5 weeks later...

Years ago I worked at a camera store with Peter who replied much earlier in this thread, and that's where I discovered the Alpa.

I currently have an 11e, an 11el, and an 11si.

I have about a dozen different lenses that were available in the late 70's including most of the premium ones, but one I was always interested in but couldn't find (at least at a price I was smart enough to pay) was the Peri-apolar. That one had a front element shaped like a bullet, and while it had a 40mm focal length was a 360 degree lens.

One of these days I'm gonna get a digital camera adapted so I can get more use out of these lenses. My favorites are the 24 angenieux, the pa curtagon, the macro switar and the automatic kinoptiks.

• 7 months later...

<p>Update to my lenses. I just had T-mounts made for the 45-100 f2.8 and the 80-240 f4. Now these lenses can be mounted on Alpa, M42, or with any T-mount adapter. (Not all at the same time though).<br>

I also already have rather good T-mount doubler, so my longest lens is now 2000mm doubled to 4000mm - haven't tried it yet though.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I also have an Alpa .... 10d and KMS 50/1.8 , which I first acquired in 1976. In the past, I had a collection of 20 Alpa cameras, each with its own proper variety contemporary Kern Switar and shade, strap, and leather case. I really liked the latest Kern Macro Switar, Swiss glass mounted in the new Japanese M42 focusing mount and barrel, with its permanently attached Alpa Auto adapter.<br>

They make the most interesting and quirky collectable, but like it is told previously, not such good cameras for the steady working professional or constant user. <br>

The internal mechanical design was basically unchanged since the mid-1950's with the Alpa 4 thru the last model 11si in 1976. All cameras made, assembled and sold after that were the same, or made up from spare parts, until bankruptcy in about 1990. Then the USA importer continued until it too had financial problems, changed its name from Karl Heitz, Inc. to Heitz Service, and further continued buying, selling, and repairing Alpas until about 2003, when it finally closed.</p>