using a sunpak #433 af and a # 611 flash with the D-70

howard_selnick

You can use one Sunpak flash at a time with D70.

To use both flashes, you will need an optical or radio trigger to shoot with one and trigger the other, or use camera buit-in flash in manual mode and have 2 slaves. More complicated as you will have to disable all kinds of pre-flashes, e.g. Red Eye, Auto Focus Assist, no iTTL preflashes, etc.

To use 611, get a PC to Hot shoe adapter. E.g. Nikon AS-15.

Set camera in Aperture priority and make a note of the F-stop.

Trun Off Auto ISO on the camera, and make a note what the ISO is used.

On the 611, set the flash to Auto, set aperture and ISO the same as on the camera. That is all.

Flash Auto thyristor should provide good exposures at any camera shutter speed that the auto aperture priority mode may require.

Fast sync like 1/2000, 1/4000 sec. on sunny day will be OK. In low light condition, you may need to pay attention if the shutter gets too slow, as the ambient light contribution if significant, could cause motion blur, even with the flash.

Next method would be to set the camera in manual mode....

Good Luck!

I found with the 433AF, I had to remove the TTL pin from the flash shoe entirely to get it to work with my D200 - somehow it advertised itself as TTL even when set to manual or A. You can also buy a $30 std mount that is missing the TTL pin.

I have no experience with the 611.

• 3 years later...

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2330550">Joshua Layne</a>,</p>

<p>Could you elaborate on the pin? I have the same problem and I am not able to use my sunpack 433AF with my D80. It works fine with my N80. When I connect it to the D80 and try to take a exposure (setting both flash and camera on manual), the falsh icon flashes on the D80 and the camera does not take an exposure.</p>

<p>Which is the pin that needs to be removed? A picture would help greatly. Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Regards.</p>