The first TLR I own was a chinese make camera Seagull, I still own it. it was

a simple camera that took not to bad picture, especially B&W Portraits. It was

simple and fun to take pictures with, but I must say its craftmanship was very

sloppy, but I think its worth its price, I paid 200,000 Korean won(about

US$154 in 1998 exchange rate) for it about 8yrs ago. Nayway after tring it

out, well I wanted to buy a true TLR(?) and I bought myself a Rollei 2.8GX(in

2000) and it was a terrific camera and I really had great fun using it. I gave

my Seagull to my 5th grade son to take pictures with and teaching him to

develop films. I hope he likes it. I carry it with me about 70% of the time.

It is light, simple to use, its meters are accurate. No hassel of carrying

extra lens and exchanging lens. Just yesterday I bought another TLR -

Rolleiflex 4.0FW I'm very excited about the purchase(Not My wife-she's very

sore about it) and can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Over the past 30 years I've collected about 20 cameras and assortment of lens

and accessories, I'm more of camera freak than a photographer. I like cameras

because they record what I saw in my life time and show how I lived to my

future generations. to me photography and cameras were the greatest invention

man made. I don't like taking digitals too much, but they are OK too.

I just wrote my thought's and I hope I haven't offended anyone.

I'm very fond of TLR myself, and love my Yashicamat 124 g, I always wanted a Rollei, but my wife would be angry if I do. Tlrs are not always easy to use, but very addictive. I've now ten cameras and started to become a camera freak too, I sold some and kept the most important ones, and now I want to take pictures with what I have. Digital is not very appealing, epecially when you shoot MF, still, I 'll probably buy a DSLR when there won't be any films left.

What does your new Rollei look like ? I've never seen a Rollei 4.0, it must be a Xenar lens.. (?)

I had a Mudan before, it's just like a seagull, but I gave it to a friend.

Thanks for sharing experiences.

And believe me it still takes the best pictures judged by the 10X loupe. Only topped by Rollei 6008AF. But the latter weights 3x as much. So Rollei TLR still wins, and it can last another 30 yrs. ( I doubt the sophisticated circuitry and battery of the 6008 AF can beat that).

Just my 2 cents.

Larry

Virtually all post-war <abbr title="twin-lens reflex cameras">TLRs</abbr> are copies of the trusted Rolleicord or Rolleiflex design. If you really love this type of camera, check out the Mamiya C33/C330 cameras, which take an <i>entirely different</i> approach to the <abbr title="twin-lens reflex camera">TLR</abbr> design. These cameras and are very interesting and very usable high-end picture-takers.

First I like to thank you all for sharing your experiences with me.

I don't know how to post picture in the thread, sorry so I can't show you the actual pictures, I tell you they are beautiful. They have the classic look with the modern feel to it. When I show my wife my Leica M6 TTL her first reaction was " How could you spend so much money on a such old out dated machine!", but when I showed her the Rollei she said "It must cost a fortune!". Well she couldn't really understood my interest in cameras, and probably never will. After living with me for nearly 20yrs, she almost gave up stopping me collecting more cameras. I did try to get my self a Mamiya TLR for the past year and half, but couldn't find it. I guess Mamiya TLR were never popular here in Korea. To obtain it through e-bay or anyother internet seller's there are too many obsticles. Maybe in the future if I have a oppurtunity to travel to US or Japan I might look it up.

It's ok to collect cameras as long as it doesn't cost you too much, now there are many great cameras like Retinas that you can buy for less than $100. I can understand your wife's reaction when you bought an M6, but for cheaper cameras, there's no problem, probably cheaper than makeup...

I too have a camera (fetish?) I started out with a sony digital that took great pictures, everyone was amazed, but i thought, this isnt really me doing anything. so i bought an old canon, the first slr they made and i studied photography, i now have 9 slrs (classics) all but one and its an eos3 and now have moved up to medium format which i love, to get started in MF i purchased a Yashica C TLR. I dont have a wife to get mad at me, but sometimes i wish i did, so i wouldnt spend so much money.