Nikon Lens Poll

dcraton

>>>they could have made a faster 12-24, but you wouldn't be able to use such lenses on

any future (and past) full-frame body, which is the case of Canon EF-S<<<

Maybe I'm not getting it Shun but you can't use the 17-55mm f2.8 either on FF. What's the

big deal? Like you said many times before, dx will like be around for a long time so why

won't nikon make a 12-24 f2.8 or a coupla of wide dx primes?

I have a friend (not me) who has culled his bag down to the following lenses (for DSLR):

12-24mm f/4, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 60mm f/2.8, 80-200mm f/2.8, 18-70mm kit

(walk around), and 17-55mm f/2.8 (on my, er, my friend's wish list)

Shooting styles have not required any other lenses. I, er, my friend is quite happy.

And you, er your friend's, list is a good one.

Leslie, the 300mm/f2.8 is in the $4000 range and the 300mm/f4 is about $1000. So it is entirely possible that 1 extra stop would cost you 4x in price.

<P>

If Nikon could have made a 12-24mm/f2.8 AF-S DX around $1500 with reasonable performance at f2.8, IMO they would have done it from the beginning. I am afraid that regardless of price, quality at wide open is the issue here for such a super wide.

<P>

Incidentally, Thom Hogan made an interesting comment on Canon EF-S lenses today: "<I>Well, Canon goofed. EF-S was a flawed logic process in design, IMHO. That could come back to haunt Canon, actually. The vast majority of DSLR purchases are at the low-end. If you stock those people with stuff that's 100% non-compatible with the higher-end, you essentially give your competitors a free shot at competing for any move upmarket by your entry folk.</I>"

<P>

<A HREF="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1026&message=21759949">

forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1026&message=21759949</A>

Leslie,

You're not the only one who's done that math. You can get some seriously great wide-

angle stuff with the 5D...

Any lens is going to go up by a factor of at least 3 when you gain a whole stop to get into

the 2.8 range. Look at the 17-35 vs. the 18-35. Look at the 70 or 80 to 200 or 210 prices.

Look at the 18-55 kit lens vs. the 17-55. When stuff gets real expensive on the wide end...

it just adds fuel to the "Buy Canon" fire because of the comparitively cheap price of a

Canon 5D plus 16-35, especially with these double-rebates. (Even Nikon-maniac Ken

Rockwell is using Canon for wide shots now because of this...)

Medium-priced full-frame would change everything, wouldn't it! This is a good argument

for it!

What's in my DSLR bag? Thanks for asking. Well here goes: Peppermint Altoids, a package of cheese crackers and a granola bar since I am hypoglycemic, a nice hand towel in case it's hot where I am working and I am perspiring, extra lens caps-batteries-Advil, small can of air, monopod, extra SD cards, biz cards, leatherman tool, small maglite, +1.5 reading glasses, SB-800,a Sony HDR-HC3 in case they want some quick video, manuals in case I forget how to. . .oh yeah, a D80.

Lenses for most events (others for other jobs): 18-55mm; 50mm; 18-200mm. Yeah, I even use the kit lens.

What I leave in my SUV: my arrogance, my ego, any personal problems. What I take inside in addition to my gear: a positive attitude, fun spirit, kindness, a smile, gentle honesty, a passion and gratitude for the work, friendly professionalism, and most of all, I make sure my pants are zipped up and my shoes tied.

Thanks to all. This should be fun!<div>00Jd2B-34556584.jpg.e491ae960ce25d8ee4f29c953b8b2565.jpg</div>

Hmmm. Depends on how I feel and what I intend to shoot really.

My normal walking around kit is my D70, the Nikon 18-70 D70 kit lens and a Sigma 70-210 F2.8

If I think I really need something faster than the 18-70, I have a Tamrom 28-70 F2.8 which is hard to beat, and if I think I'll also need wider (or am going to shoot landscapes and think I'll need wider than the Tamron or the Nikon kit lens) I'll add my Tokina 12-24 F4.

On occasion, I'll go old school (well, as much as is possible with a D70 anyways) and just take it and a Nikon 35mm F2 or the 50mm f1.8 to see what I can find.

I won't comment much on what I shoot or my level of skill is - instead, check my portfolio and that should tell you what you need to know.

Enjoy!

David, My DREAM is to add the 17-55/2.8, 24/1.8, 85/1.8, and 70-200/2.8 VR. With my limited budget I am guessing a 3rd party 17-??/2.8, Sigma 30/1.8, 85/1.8, & the new 70-300 VR lens. Mean time I am sure having fun with my D50 with the 18-70 and 50/1.8 lenses. Thank you for asking.

Tim Knight

I use several Nikon lenses on my Canon 10D (DSLR) and Elan IIe (film).

Indoor swim meets and outdoor soccer - Nikon 200/2 AI, and Nikon 400/2.8 AIS on the 10D.

Gymnasium sports - Nikon 50/1.4 AIS, Contax/Zeiss 85/1.4, and the 200/2, all on the 10D.

Landscapes, architecture, and walkaround, Nikon 14/2.8 AF, Nikon 28/2 AIS, and the 50/1.4 on the 10D and/or film. Will likely get a nice light Nikon 180/2.8 AIS or Leica 180/3.4 APO to go with these.

If I ever find a really beat up Nikon 8/2.8 and/or Nikon 16/3.5 I would consider adding those too.

As a portrait photographer, he probably isn't as interested in wide angle photography as I am. I consider the 12-24 zoom to be #1 on my list. I have a 17-55 and 70-200 also but I would sure buy some wide angle fixed focal length lenses if they were available. I'm still not a big fan of zoom lenses. For the portraitist, I would think the 85 f1.4 would be high on the list. In other words, his list is fine for him but not for me. No surprise there.