Yashica B Owners

garyreal

Just wanted to get the statistics of people owning and using the subject camera.

What are their experience with this toy.

I just received the unit i won in an auction in working condition. I was able

to clean up the the entire camera including the lens of some fungus.

Now, based on other owners experience, is this one unit worth keeping?

Thank you.

Hi Gary! I own and use a Y'Mat LM with Yashion lens. Your B should be a great shooter! There are different lenses on the 6x6 Yashica's...Luxor,Yashikor,Yashinon etc. The Yashinon is supposedly the "best" lens as it is a 4 element design, I think the others are 3.

Like any camera, shoot a couple stops down, use a tripod and enjoy it!

I use TriX in mine. I love the Yash TLR's...great cameras and great prices!

Enjoy!

Mark

Yes you should keep it and use it. I am using a Yashica D with the 3 element Yashikor lens and find it superb. I don't know how much more you'll get out of the 4 element Yashinon lens, but this is plenty sharp for me. You just have to get used to the reversed image. Also, make sure you have the lever on X and not M (flashbulbs). I believe the older series use 120 roll film only.

• 4 weeks later...

Gary,

I do have the B - it is one of the most rarity. Just keeping it as my TLR collection. You may see this pic- just scoll down~

http://poravich.bravehost.com/Classic6x6MF.html

The lens I have isn't that clear. Knob advance seem more durable than the lever found in Y Mat. Yashikor argueably stay under par compared to Yashinon.

If you purpose is a classic work - not that sharp, it deliver good result!

Beware of the shutter lever in front of the lens- it is fragile and sentitive to be broken. I did have that problem with my Y 12

Over all, well worth to own.

Pat

• 1 year later...

Hi Kanni,

If the fungus is alive and new you can carefully wash it off with a 50/50 mixture of 6 percent hydrogen peroxide ( hair bleach ) and cloudy ammonia both can be store or chemist bought. You will probably need to disassemble the lens.

If it’s old fungus and etched the glass there is not a lot you can do.

Best Regards

Rob