resources for a faster ramp-up

What are some good guides, books and other resources for a newbie printer? <br> <br>

I'm all decked out with good hardware (R1800, Spyder2 and PrintFix Pro, Moab

Estrada Natural), and have a bunch of somewhat worthy shots to print (<a

href="http://flickr.com/photos/dakh/sets"> <b> here </b></a>

<br><br>

Again, I'm a complete newb in printing but I'm quite technically savvy so I hope

to not waste too much ink and paper. I'm after wall-worthy quality.

Recommendations on a comprehensive source of information?

<br><br>

Thanks!<div>00JUz8-34404684.jpg.b29ab45640c69d67ad439ea3b78e365e.jpg</div>

In addition to the usual PS2 books (Bruce Fraser, Scott Kelby, etc.): Johnson, "Mastering Digital Printing"; Haynes & Crumpler, "Photoshop CS2 Artistry." (Assuming you use PS2.) And, check around for classes at local institutes or colleges, as well as workshops (e.g., Santa Fe, Maine). We've all been there. I wish you a good ride and good luck!

Spent some time today at Barnes&Noble and came away thoroughly disappointed.

99% of the material is irrelevant. What's needed is a guide to the actual printing wizardry given that all technical and hardware aspects are understood and set up correctly. Which, in all books that I've flipped through, occupies maybe a couple pages at best.

Of all things, Epson's guide to printing was the most helpful. I didn't buy it mostly because just reading the little useful material it had in the store was enough.

Looks like there's no going around spending some ink and paper here :) Now I need to go figure how to make it a more or less fun experience.

• 2 months later...

It definitely saved me ink, paper and time. I haven't invested a lot of effort into this yet but at least I could get something reasonably close matching right away.

To me right now it seems like there are two ways to go: either just stick to B&W or get the fully calibrated system, and printfix/spyder is actually pretty cheap for what they do. But of course it's still expensive for a hobby toy.