real-world drawbacks of older non-PQ/PQS lenses

a.r._landstrom

I'm about to spring for an 6003 SRC 100 or 6008i system & got to wondering how

annoying/inconvenient other Rollei 6000 users find it that the lens stops down -

with the older non-PQ/PQS lenses - when you meter a scene. (Obviously this still

beats metering with a handheld meter.)

Two things in particular, both involving shooting people: I'm assuming the

screen grows dim when the lens stops down. Is this a problem? Second, the lens

apparently makes a snick when it stops down. Is *that* a problem, in your

experience?

Thanks, all.

I've had grat luck (as have others) with the 6003 system. I recommend it highly over the

earlier versions, as you get lots of usable features, and the stuff just works.

The lenses - try to stay with the PQ lenses. They really are worthwhile, and your investment

may be better protected with the newer Hy6 compatability.

For non PQ: The snick when the lens closes down is not an issue - very quiet. The dimming

will grow old fast.

Andrew, given your recent posting history you don't have much else to say about these fine

cameras, do you?

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00JKh2

To the OP: especially when shooting people I would recommend you to avoid the older lenses

because they will slow your workflow down, which is undesirable in that case. For landscape

and architecture it is much less of a problem. These older lenses will work just the same as

they do now on a 6008 with the future Hy6, BTW.

I had a 6003 SRC 1000 with PQ 80 Xenotar - absolutely stunning images and wonderfull

camera to use. The metering in these is very good also. I would second the

recomendations above to go with PQ lenses (PQS is overkill IMO). But with non-PQ lenses it

should all work fine. You only need to stop down just before you shoot. You can focuss

with the lens open. Have a look here for more info, it is a FAQ about the 6000 series:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/3762/Rollei/

Antonio

Comment regarding electronic system failability, reading through the archives the sense I have is that early 6000 series electronic cameras had some teething problems. I don't believe that at all to be true of more recent versions.

My relatively modern 6008i (6 years old or so now) has never once had any hiccups, manual or electronic, and the same is true of my PQ / PQS optics.

That said, I'd like to acquire a second 6008i (or perhaps a 6008i2) body some day, for both convenience and backup purposes, when one comes available in good condition at fire sale prices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

"Stick to the Rolleis that are largely electronics-free. Their 'powered' cameras are notorious for failure."

What a great example of an ignorant comment stated with chest-thumping authority! My "failure"-prone 6006 is twenty-years-old and it has never let me down. Metering is as good as any camera I've ever owned, too. It amazes me how rumors become "fact".