Where to Photograph Approachable Black Bears?

lance_krueger

I am looking to photograph some black bears that are tolerant to human

approach without using a blind, etc. I have gone to the Smokies, and

Yellowstone, but have only seen bears running at a distance. I have

heard there are some good black bear opportunities around Orr,

Minnesota, but didn't know where to go or what the possibilities there

are. Any other good places for black bears? National Parks, State

Parks, private locations (no rent-a-critters)?

Waterton National Park, the Canadian portion of Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park, is supposedly pretty good. I was there last month for only a day (arrived mid-afternoon, left mid-afternoon the next day) and had two bear sightings, one near dusk right on the main highway between the two parks, the second the next day around mid-morning, a sow and two cinammon colored cubs. They had reportedly been sighted in the same general area at other parts of the day. Although Glacier is also noted for bear sightings, from what I can tell Waterton is better for wildlife.

Not sure that I'd want that close an encounter with a black bear, but if I <i>were</i> to try it, I'd hire a hunting guide. They'd be familiar with the area, familiar with the population, skilled in stalking and approach, and would probably have adequate firepower in the event the animal turned to charge (which blackies are known to do). Take long lenses, and if you <i>do</i> go alone, be <b>very</b> well informed about approaching. Black bears can cross a few hundred yards in seconds, can climb trees, and don't respond to the usual passive behavior as other bears...

Lance, sooner or later your search for black bears should bring you to Anan Creek on the Cleveland Peninsula, a short floatplane ride from Ketchikan, or a long but interesting boat ride from Wrangell, both in southeast Alaska. The Tongass National Forest, Ketchikan Ranger District, maintains the Anan Creek Bear Observatory there - some websearching should get multiple hits from guiding services that can get you there. The best bet is a boat out of Wrangell and a muli-day stay at Anan Creek. During the month of August there are many, many black bears (and the occasional brown bear) so close you can smell them, but there are also DHC Otter loads of cruiseship tourists a few times a say - if you camp a mile away on the beach you can be at the falls in relative peace during evenings and whenever the no one else is around during the day (unlike Brooks Falls, there is no nearby lodge). Anan Creek is essentially a black bear version of Brooks River (Katmai, NP) - the black bears are fishing for salmon, but its lots cheaper to get to; literally, cruiseship passangers are able to fly out, see a bear, and fly back to Ketchikan in just a few hours for less than $300. Since people tend to follow the rules about staying on the trail and viewing platforms, there has never been a bear attack at Anan Creek. Ketchikan, at Alaska's southeast tip, is lots closer to Seattle than most people think. Hans

With all due respect to Scott, I'd suggest anyone who intends to get close to black bears read Stephen Herrero's "Bear Attacks: Their Cause and Prevention". Herrero's Canada's leading bear researcher with decades of field experience with both black and grizzly bear. Scott's post is misleading, at best.

And, yes, I've been close to black bears.

Black bears very rarely attack people, even moms with cubs will almost always bluff-charge and actual attacks in such scenarios are almost unknown. At least, they're not being reported to officials...

The biggest problem with black bears is that they're smart food thieves who will gladly slurp up your dinner while you beat it on the head with an iron skillet (no, I've not tried this, but someone in an Arizona campground did a few years ago to the disbelief and amazement of some aquaintences of mine!)

Of course, black bears CAN be dangerous, which is why I recommend the book. It's important to learn when they're likely to be dangerous, and to base that learning on facts rather than myth, if you plan to spend time in black bear country. And to learn to reliably ID them if you're in places like Waterton which also has griz.

Don't hire a hunting guide. Most either use hounds to tree bears, or set bait, at least in the West. Both practices are now illegal in Oregon - for photographers as well as hunters (photographers are specifically mentioned in the law, tells you something about our collective reputation, doesn't it?) And of course hunters just need a clear shot at 100 yards, while photography requires much closer access, which in reality means a bear used to people or a game farm critter.

The Waterton suggestion sounds like a good one. Olympic National Park has a large population of black bears, you can't really go hiking or backpacking in late summer without seeing them, often on the trail. At Oly, they'll be munching on huckleberries so find out where they're ripe, strap on that 'ole 600/4, and bust your aching butt up there - High Divide's a fruitful place. Long hike, though. No griz to worry about at Oly, either, so you don't have to practice ID skills.

Don't think just because it's a black bear that you might not get in trouble. I'd MUCH rather meet a black bear than a Griz, but if you are unlucky, you could be very unlucky. Bears which are "tolerant" of humans are habituated, which means they aren't afraid of people. You want then to be afraid of you, for your own sake as much as theirs.

<p>

Here's a news report:

<p>

<em>

Posted 7/9/98

<p>

An Idaho Falls, Idaho woman, Mourn Maughan, was bitten by a black bear this week in Grand Teton National Park.

<p>

The cinammon-colored bear with unusual white claws gave 22-year-old Ms. Maughan a injury to her head after she encountered the bear as she rounded a corner

on the trail near String Lake. Maughan said she was making noise to warn wildlife, but the bear apparently didn't hear it. She said it was 40 to 50 feet away when

the bear rose on its hind legs.

Maughan apparently did everything right -- she backed away slowly and averted her gaze -- but the bear approached her. She rolled up in the fetal position. The

bear sniffed and then bit her on the head. Maughan then rolled off the lakeside trail and down into the lake. She starting swimming, but the bear came after her.

Before the bear reached her, it was scared away by the shouts of another hiker. </em>

Where I live near the White Mountain National Forest, there are many ski condos, summer houses, etc., scattered in the rural communities near the NF. Temporary residents either leave garbage in non-bearproof outside storage or dumpsters, or deliberately leave leftovers out to attract bears. The upshot is the same.

Once I found myself on my porch at 3 am facing a bear who thought my outside storage ought to contain edibles.

Photography was the last thing on my mind. But what the heck, anyone who wants could come up here, bait the woods and get photos of black bears being omnivores.

Under these circumstances, it is prudent to treat ALL black bears as unapproachable. I think that if a few of these misguided suburbanites get hauled into District Court for violation of the bear-baiting statute things might change. No harm in being an optimist. I hope.

On a distantly -very distantly related historical note, I gather bears no longer stop traffic at Yellowstone as they did when I traveled and worked there in the 50's. I had read that had changed, and always meant to ask and confirm. However, even them, tourists were warned to STAY in their cars.

The key word here is "approachable" and to me that means that either the bear is in a safe, captive environment such as a zoo. Sure you can see bears from many national park roads and at those places in Alaska, but are they truly approachable? Just how close does an approachable bear let you get befor you become another story in Don's bear attack book?

Just about anywhere in the Pocono Mountains of Northeastern PA in the US will have plenty of Black Bear. The problem is more often them being habituated to approaching humans for food scraps than humans approaching them for pictures. I sure wish the one that bit my garbage can lid to open the can had gone down a different street last week. What a mess. The teeth marks in the plastic lid are impressive. I chose not to photograph him that night.

What you are asking for is stupidity at best. Go to a game park or a zoo or be prepared to spend countless hours in backcountry locations WORKING for your images.

If you are willing to travel as much as you indicate, spend the time locating your bears and take a hint from Jim Brandenburg & his YEARS spent photographing wolves. It will take a lot of work, no easy answers and access. If you get attacked for trying to approach the wrong bear too closely for your images, consider it just part of the experience.

You seem to want the bears handed to you on a silver platter & it won't happen outside a private game farm. Pay their fees & have a handler keep your backside covered while you shoot.

"Maughan apparently did everything right -- she backed away slowly and averted her gaze -- but the bear approached her. She rolled up in the fetal position"

This is why I suggest that anyone spending time in bear country read Herrero's book. Among other things, you'll learn that playing dead's not the right thing to do when you encounter a black bear. The fact that playing dead's not really the right thing to do is one of the major reasons you should learn to ID grizzly and black bears if you spend time in country that contains both species, because it IS frequently the right thing to do with griz.

Maughan should've read the book. The journalist who penned this quote should've read the book.

And so should all of you.

Lance:

"approachable black bears . . ." Try sanitary landfills in Northern Wisconsin. Try rural, west central Wis. Try Chicago - Soldier Field. All the tips for caution, previously mentioned, should be followed. Personally, I've guided, there are no approachable black bears. Their agenda don't include human interaction, unless they are very hungry. Blinds, baits, patience, but requires a lot of work, with no guarantees. 'da Bears also have summer camp at Platteville, WI and are very approachable.

JJD

Thanks for the update Don. That's what I'd heard too - in fact I seem to recall seeing something about fighting back against a black bear (just as you are supposed to do with mountain lions I think). Sometimes you might win? Of course fighting back is the last thing to try (literally) with a Griz, so you'd better be REALLY sure about your bear ID....

<p>

<a href="http://www.boreasbackcountry.com/polaris/bear/attack.htm">http://www.boreasbackcountry.com/polaris/bear/attack.htm"</a>

is a guide to what to do if attacked by a Canadian bear. I assume US bears have read this too.

Bob, the page you give reference to isn't too bad, but meanders back and forth between assuming you don't know what kind of bear is involved, and that you do - without making any obvious distinction in the text. Many times you WILL know what kind of bear is involved, i.e. in most of the lower 48 you know there are no griz around and therefore know to fight back if any bear attacks you.

The situation with griz is a bit more complicated. If you're subject to a predatory attack, you should fight back (good advice in the sidebar on the page Bob points to). If you're attacked by a griz mom with cubs or any griz with prey, playing dead works because you're being viewed as a threat to the resource, not as food. They strike you to remove the threat. Typically this follows a charge. You play dead, and the threat's removed. They're not interested in eating you, so you live though unfortunately they are curious creatures and will paw, nuzzle, etc you to see what the heck you are - many of the most serious injuries come during this phase due to the fact that these strong beasts just don't understand how to be gentle with their toys. They gently nuzzle your head and remove your scalp, that sort of thing.

Predatory attacks tend to be ... sneaky rather than confrontational. Play dead, and they eat you, oops.

It's this latter which distinguishes black bears from griz. As the page Scott points to explains, black bear moms virtually never actually attack you, they lack the grande heuvos attitude of griz moms . Black bears rarely have prey to protect, and when they do, virtually never attack.

On the other hand, griz will very frequently attack in such cases, again to remove a perceived threat (you, the unfortunately deeply misunderstood human on the scene).

Black bears that attack are almost universally working in a predatory mode, and in a very high number of cases are known to have stalked the person involved (by analysis of the scene, recollections of the attackee, etc). Thus the admonition to fight any stalking bear regardless of species on the page Bob refers to.

Griz that attack are rarely doing so in a predatory mode.

Huh? Doesn't seem to make sense? It's all about statistics. Neither species routinely prey on people. Griz all to frequently respond violently when threatened. Therefore, non-predatory attacks are the norm with griz. If you're stalked, or attacked by a foraging bear at night, then certainly that's a predatory incident but they're very rare in proportion to the other kind of attack.

Of course, black bears almost never prey on people (or anything with fur, for that matter). On the other hand, attacks to remove perceived threats are so rare that in actuality predatory attacks - as ultra-rare as they are - actually are more common. So common that there are something like 35 or so recorded deaths due to such attacks. Not per year. Per forever in North America. Not bad considering the hundreds of thousands of black bears in the lower 48. It's a bit like asking if you're more likely to be killed by a meteorite or an engine falling from an airliner flying overhead. Don't lose sleep over it. But if you're stalked by a bear, or see an airline engine dropping on your head, take appropriate action.

There aren't really many more griz predatory attacks on record, either, in recent time in the lower 48 this is understandable given there are only a few hundred left. A griz is easily 1,000 times more likely to prey on you than a black bear, but there are easily 1,000 times more black bears in the lower 48 than griz, so you can see how the raw statistics can be misleading!

Oh, Herrero makes the point that people on horseback are almost never attacked by griz, no matter what the situation. People in groups of six or more are less likely to be attacked. Strangely, Nikon owners are far more likely to be attacked than Canon owners :)

I still like his solution - pack a mounted Mountie for the best bear protection around :)

Lance, the name of the sanctuary in Orr, Mn. is Vince Schutte

Wildlife. For information call 800-357-9255. A photonet thread posted by Bruce Leventhal, who post a question just prior to yours (Exposing for a Broad Contrast Range) had posted a thread about a year ago on this sanctuary. I wanted to go there last September, but it closed after Labor Day. In my research, I sent a email to bears@dnet.net about Vince Shutte and got a response. Supposely the bears are wild and you can view them in a control environment. Do a little research to findout more info.

I recently received a complimentary copy of a new magazine entitled BEARS And Other Top Predators. Not only did it contain a lot of information about bears, it also included some excellent photography. You can find out more at www.bearsmag.com.

Getting back to the original question, I would be surprised if you found a better place to view black bears, up close, in a natural setting than Anan Creek. I have not been there yet, but have a sister who lived in Wrangell, and it sounds like they often get numerous bears within close proximity to the viewing platform.

Al,

Thanks for the info. This is all I wanted to know and if there were similar places to Orr, MN in the lower 48 to photograph black bears. I didn't want to walk up to a mama bear, wipe the drool off her face, then take her picture. I would be happy photographing out of a car, or hiking into some areas that had a good chance of seeing black bears that wouldn't necessarily run at the first sight of a human. I should have qualified it also that I wanted to photograph in the lower 48 since photos at Anan scream ALASKA. I just want more typical habitat in the lower 48. Anybody else with some other places that are similar to Orr, MN that you have a good chance to see black bears, please let me know. And thanks everyone for the bear attack info.

Cades Cove in the Smoky Mtns are a good bet in mid august. That is when the cherry trees are full of ripe fruit and bears. There are also several blueberry patches that are productive but you will have to put in time and effort to get any photos.

I was at Cades Cove July 18-20 and got some nice deer photos with the anlers in velvet. There were several bear sightings with cubs while I was there, but I didn't see any myself. The past 4 years, I have been in Cades Cove for one or two weeks each year to photograph whitetailed deer. I been in Cades Cove throughout November when the black bears are high in the mountains seeking acorns and their hibernation sites. In all that time I have not seen a bear there. Your best bet seems to watch the cherry trees in mid August. Bring your long lenses, alot of patience for the crowds, and some luck which we all need when taking wildlife photos. Take care

Lance,

Don't mean to be a pain in the butt, but since you stand to profit from the location information you get from this group because you're a pro (congrats on the Field and Stream South cover), you wouldn't mind sharing where you shot that buck photo, would you? You know, a little quid pro quo?

NH update: recently a bunch of golfers have snapped pix on separate occasions of a bear that's learned to steal lunches off golf carts. Bold enough apparently to steal and be seen at short range but not bold enough to stick around with the picnic. Still, it's not long before there'll be a very close encounter with this fellow.

NH Fish & Game have just announced that they will shoot a couple of dozen black bears that have become way too bold, and are now in the home invasion biz. Relocating them doesn't work. If they want fresh baked & home made, they find it where they find people.

Lance, the golf course is the very scenic Balsams, in Dixville.

Have black bears evolved to be more agressive in the past 25 years, or were people just more stupid back then? When I was a kid we spent a lot of time in a campground in the smokies near Cherokee NC and there were quite often black bears that would come through the campgrounds around dusk, looking for food that had been left out. Sometimes there would even be a cub or two. It was treated as a big event and the rangers never seemed particularly concerned about it. Eventually they'd relocate the bears if they became too dependent, but nobody seemed to be the least bit worried that a campground full of tourons and their offspring didn't mix with bears.