Hello,

I recently got the 1-D Mark II N and like it a lot but I have been having

trouble in low light conditions. For example I previously had the digital

rebel xt and could shoot in our basketball gym at 400 f/2.8 1600 iso, but now

if I shoot with the same settings with my 1-d the images come out far

underexposed. I have no idea why it's doing this. Any help will be greatly

appreciated, Thanks!

Hatcher

Check to see if you have accidently moved the dial controlling auto-exposure (whether under or over). I believe it is right next to the shutter button so you could have accidently moved it. I forget if the camera remembers under or overexposure settings but this is a likely culprit. Same thing happened to me. Easy to check.

Additionally, are the dark images observed on your 1D LCD screen or after processing your RAW files? If using Adobe CS2, the program can remember your previous settings so if you have a setting that decreases brightness or exposure you may just need to switch back to Camera RAW defaults or adjust as necessary.

Like John said, on reply 1.. or 2..or.. :)

Make sure if you're using manual settings you haven't set an exposure that's not easily noticed in the viewfinder, or top LCD, that you haven't set it for underexpose.

Is it on everything you shoot, or just this particular example?

Are you shooting in Manual mode? If so... ignore my suggestion...

Make sure you don't have the exposure mode in spot metering... it might just be metering on a small area that is light as opposed to the evaluative or center weighted. The Rebel doesn't have spot and would explain the discrepancy.

Best regards,

aaron

<I>would it be that it has a bigger sensor?</i><P>

No, that's probably not the culprit. All things being equal, the metering and exposure should be pretty close. While not perfect across camera lines they have to be at least in the ballpark to work with light-meters, for example.<P>

Therefore, IMHO, <I>something</i> is probably set screwy (I should say different) on your 1D than it was your XT. I would've guessed metering - perhaps changed from evaluative to spot or center-weighted. But if you're sure you've checked that, then it's something else.<P>

However, even if there's up to a one stop difference in the metering or ISO for some weird reason between the two cameras, if it's predictable, you'll just know to use +1 exposure compensation for your shoots. Check your histogram to be sure.

I think (if necessary) there's a way to set the camera back to its factory defaults, which, unless you've saved something fancy, won't be a huge deal. (Custom & personal functions would revert back if you've changed any, I think)<P>

Also, have you noticed this in all modes? M/Av/P/T, etc.?<P>

Because again, <I>all things being equal</i> they <I>should</i> be at least in the same ballpark. I'd go over the settings again and if all else fails, check the manual for a way to reset your 1D to its defaults. Test it at home. If you find there's still a difference, just make a note to use +exposure compensation. Good luck!

The easiest thing is to increase exposure. If you have image review turned on, you should

see the histogram is too far to the right and correct your exposure right then and there.

But I expect the reason it is coming out underexposed is that you accidentally have

exposure compensation turned on. Have you looked at the EXIF data?

I assume you are shooting in A mode. Differences in metering between the two cameras

may be responsible. Also, the 1d is an ancient camera with worse high ISO performance

than the XT.

I doubt it's a metering thing seeing as he's shooting manual guys. The problem is that the

exact same exposure settings, aperture, shutter, iso, get darker pictures on the 1D. Could

be your glass, maybe it's darker? Or could be a problem of some stupid auto underexpose

thing, or, for all you know, there may actually be less light in the gym.

A bigger sensor shouldn't do that, cos iso is constant.

Here's a theory coming from someone who never uses aps sensors, only 35mm film.

Since an aps sensor is smaller, the same aperture/hole size in the lens, will be bigger

compared in relation to the sensor when you compare it to a full frame sensor, maybe

that's it, but it seems a dodgy explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Scott, I also shoot with the same camera. I just did a basketball game the other night. I use 800 iso, with the camera on tv set at 250. The aperture stays around 2.8 or 3.5. I shoot with flash (580ex) with the Gary Fong Dome on no cap. I shot floresent and I used the rear curtian sync on the flash. I shoot under the basketball net, and my pics came out outstanding. If you want contact me at ffphotog@aol.com and i can forward you a couple of shots if you want. Also set your cust func 4 to 3 and use the * button to do the focusing. You wont regret it.

Scott