how the odds are stacked against me(somebody has to work for national

geographic right?).so i am now looking into schools.ihave found that

there isnt any direct path i should follow.i want to establish a

techincal background so i can best pursue my dream.right now i think

that i will acquire a 2 year degree that is transferable to a 4 year

program,all the while attending seminars(if i can afford it). i have

no financial backing other than myself,and cannot afford to make a

mistake in choosing a school.

I don't know of any schools that specialize in nature photography.

As many others have stated on this site many times, this is a very competitive and difficult business. It is very hard to be successful, financially, i.e. make a living.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out some of the realities.

I suggest that you purchase John Shaw's "Business of Nature Photography". This book will give you some insights on what it takes to be successful at shooting, marketing, and selling your work. In fact, I would recommend all of John Shaw's books for practical lessons on most aspects of nature photography.

After studying the work of the top photographers in the business, learning the basics of exposure, how to operate your camera, proper field technique, spending a lot of money on equipment/film/processing/travel, etc., the only thing left is to shoot, shoot, shoot and learn, learn, learn!

If you are good enough, lucky enough, and dedicated enough, the money will follow.

One common sense approach, is to find a full-time job, and shoot part-time. Then, switch to shooting full-time, if you can sell enough images to make a living. This is how Arthur Morris, and others, got started. You always have something to fall back on if the photography business doesn't work out.

Good luck!

I don't think there are any nature photography schools. It's possible a degree in something other than photography might ulitimately be of more use anyway (biology, ecology, forestry, wildlife management etc.).

I think George Lepp attended Brooks, but most of the other well known nature shooters are self taught as far as I know. It's really not all that difficult! I can see how you might need a school if you want to cover all aspects of photography such as the technical details of the zone system, studio work and lighting ratios, commercial product shooting, weddings, B&W and color darkroom techniques and so on. But nature photography is basically getting out into the field with a camera and a bunch of lenses and figuring out what to point them at.

Hi Robert: I would encourage you to seek your destiny. If you can swing it go to college and major in biology. Make contacts and keep a file of them. Ask a lot of good questions, become a sponge and obsorb as much info as you can. One workshop I can recommend is John and Barb <A HREF="http://www.photo.net//neighbor/one-subcategory.tcl?category_id=0&id=8">Gerlach's.</A> I have been to two of there week long and the one day seminar. Of course many others are out there and many are good. John and Barb are successful and secure enough to share with anyone willing how to do it. Learn from the mistakes they made so you can avoid making the same ones. Congrates on you decision I know you will make it, just be patient and give you self the time to do it right. One other small piece of free advise always treat people like family and conduct you self with a lot of Class the rewards will follow.

Bob mentioned Brooks Institute. This is a really Good School. A formal education might open more doors to you than any other approach.

On the other side of the country, another fine school of photography and imaging is Rochester Institute of Technology. Attending one of these schools will give you the necessary skills to be competive in today's world. Who knows, you might like Cinematography better than stills.

<p>As mentioned previously in another thread, many successful nature photographers have a large amount of knowledge about their particular subject matter or specialization. Here's how National Geographic responds to the question, "What backgrounds do your photographers have?" in the photography Q&A section of their web site:</p>

<blockquote>All have college degrees but in a variety of disciplines. Most did not major in photography, although all took photography courses. The most common majors were journalism, anthropology, sociology or psychology, fine arts, and natural or life sciences. Several have master's degrees, and one of our contract photographers has a Ph.D. Normally our freelance photographers have at least five to ten years' experience with other publications before coming to us, some as photojournalists from newspapers or magazines. Others arrive from specializations such as wildlife, underwater, or aerial photography.</blockquote>

<p>If you wish to become an underwater photographer of the stature of David Doubilet, you are probably better off getting a Masters in Marine Biology rather than taking photography classes. Tom Mangelsen was a wildlife biologist whose interest in nature led him to photography.</p>

<p>In addition to photographic skills, a successful professional photographer must have a certain amount of business acumen (or work with a partner that takes care of the business side of things). Well-known nature photographer Galen Rowell owned a small automobile business before becoming a full-time professional photographer.</p>

<p>So while you're working on your Bachelors or Masters degree in biology/zoology/botany/whatever, you can take some photography, business, expository writing and foreign language classes to fill those General Education requirements - all of which will be useful tools in becoming a successful nature photographer. Good luck.</p>

Although I know of no schools, there are courses offered by nature photographers. One that immediately comes to mind is Joe and Mary Ann McDonald's Complete Nature Photography Course. This is an intensive course about one week long at their farm/outdoor studio in north-central Pennsylvania. They also offer a similar length advanced course. They have a web page describing the courses (www.hoothollow.com).

All the previous posts regarding degrees are good advice. Nothing replaces good knowledge of your subjects and good marketing and business skills.

Before you jump into it head first, consider living a month in the life of a nature photographer. Search through the archives of this site and research what it is really like being a full time pro. Read John Shaw's book on the business of nature photography, Norbert Wu, Jim Zuckerman have similar books, there are other general photo business books that need to be read as well. Contact some pro nature photographers and see if they will give you further insight into this business. Set up a schedule where you go out and shoot a bit and then spend an equivalent or more time in the office editing, labeling and submitting. Spend time planning upcoming shoots (calling for conditions, hotels/motels, researching which animals will be at their peak, what equipment you will need, buying enough film, budgeting yourself to not blow all your cash reserves etc.). Spend time researching the market, calling/writing magazines to get their want lists. Set yourself up with a strict schedule - no going out all the time with friends, since you have to get up early and shoot or have a busy day in the office.

As a young writer I received advice about avoiding more than one or

two courses specializing in writing - instead, it went, study

everything else. As far as the degrees you can hang on your walls,

the only ones that count are the ones you compose and expose. Good

luck, the world is counting on you! J