A4 inkjet printer for b/w

Hi.

Iam new here. And here is my first question. I search a A4 inkjet printer for my

b/w pictures. I have take a special look on the HP printer line. Think that the

HP?s can make good b/w prints out of the box. I have heard that the HP

Photosmart 8250 is good for b/w and the older Photosmart 7960. But if you know

other brands, they makes good b/w A4 printer, please let my know.

Thanks,

--Marko

The usual recommendation here for a b&w inkjet printer is the Epson R2400, I think. I don't own one, so have no opinion about it. My need for the best possible printer will remain low until I think my photographs deserve it.

For now, I use the inkjet we have for business cards and brochures. It died and I ordered a Canon ip4300 to replace it which arrived yesterday. I'm testing its photo capabilities, both color and b&w, at the moment and the results are pretty good and I wouldn't be ashamed to pass around the 8x10s.

So, a new ip4300 with Canon inks, Canon matte paper, and Canon profile produces a pretty good b&w print.

--

Don E

If you're serious about it, digital B&W printing is a world unto itself.

For an A4 size printer, third party inksets provide the best combination of quality and archivalness.

I second getting an Epson C88 with carbon pigment inks from inksupply.com. The combination is very affordable. The inks are very archival when used on archival cotton papers, and the results are top notch. If you use refillable cartridges, ink cost is very economical.

A couple of links to learn more:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint/

http://home1.gte.net/res09aij/C86-EZ-UT-Readme.htm

I have no affiliation with inksupply.com other than being a satisfied customer. Their inks look great in my C86, and Paul Roark's instructions are an excellent way to get started.

Good luck, it's a lot of fun.

Hey guys. Thanks for the answers. I know that the Epson 2400 and the new HP Photosmart Pro 9180 are the b/w kings. But i don?t have the place in my living room for these "monsters" and i didnt really need a A3 printer. Okay a Epson C88 with third party inks.. I have heard something good from this combination at the RFF. But a order to germany, where i live, is to expensive! The Canon 4300 printer? I have never heard, that this printer can make good b/w prints.. Here is the first time, that i heard that. Many peoples says, that the HP?s can make good b/w prints out of the box, without third party inks. In the Leica Fotografie International Magazin i have read about the HP Photosmart 7960 with his three grey ink. And i have also heard about the HP 8250. Not good i have heard about the Epson R800 (b/w performance). Canon makes a good job on his Pixma 9500, but he is also a A3 giant!

It should be only a A4 printer without third party inks. Any other recommendation?

I have the HP7960. It does a great job with B&W and as you have read, it does so right out of the box. If you can find one, you should be very happy with it.

One thing! I am starting to have a harder and harder time finding the #59 grey ink cartridge which is needed for B&W printing. Most major stores still carry the color and black ink ink units but not the #59. The last time I bought the #59, I actually ordered it direct from HP. Not a big deal but I am beggining to wonder how long I will be able to find the #59. HP told me they still make it but would not say for how long.

I have read to newer 8250 gives equal results compared to the 7960 and I THINK it takes different cartridge models. That might be a better option. If memory serves, the 8250 was the replacement for the 7960.