What type of liability insurance do you use?

jeremy_graves

I'm finally getting some decent business and I'm ready to buy the expensive

camera, do some advertising and such. I've been lucky so far, but I know that I

soon need to acquire the proper liability insurance.

So, what company do you use for your insurance? How much should I expect to

spend each year? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Michael, you said:

"I think the smart thing to do is to buy a umbrella policy on you for lets say, a million dollars. Then you can remove the liability insurance on your business, car, house, and might even save some money. Although a million dollars is not what is used to be."

I'm sure you didn't mean to intentionally misadvise, but you may leave some with a very dangerous impression.

An excess policy has coverage that begins after underlying auto/home/business liability policies are exhausted. The threshold or trigger for the excess policy can be anywhere from $100k to $250k, and possibly $500k. Most policies require that underlying policies stay in-force. Some companies require that every policy [RV, Auto, Motorcycle, Home, Marine...] you have be carried by that particular carrier. Remove the underlying coverages on your auto/home/business, and it's like having a $250,000 deductible; or worse, your carrier may deny coverage. That's right, the excess carrier will stand-by while you find a quarter-of-a-million dollars to pay a plaintiff...and the costs of your own defense, [often into six figures on larger cases].

Further, an excess policy on "you" may not cover your business or commercial dealings. Most personal coverages specifically exclude commercial activities, and your company, corporation, or d/b/a may not meet the definition of an "insured" under the policy.

Terms like "Umbrella" and "Full Coverage" are consumer, media, and marketing jargon that have no meaning to the folks in the claims department. I know; I spent 16 years working in one.

It's wise to seek the advice of your attorney and your insurance broker. Both carry professional liability coverage in the event they advise you incorrectly. No one on this forum can boast the same level of coverage.

Mr Mullaney,

Yep I agree. When it is outside one`s area of expertise, it is wise to limit one`s comment in public fora to statements of fact, concerning only one`s own business, and as for advice: advise to contact a professional specializing in the area.

As you implied, often wanting to honestly just help out with `advice` may leave one vulnerable.

Regards

WW

Guys and girls, what's next? Notarized waivers of liability from each of the wedding attendants? You're not playing paintball or skydiving here, you're taking pictures at a wedding! I agree that frivolous lawsuits are a hugh fu**ing problem here and I guess in the UK, but you're not solving the problem taking out huge policies, you're MAKING IT WORSE. Why not fence off tripods or hire bouncers so that people don't trip over them. Why not put a huge safety net up over the backyard of your studios so that any skydiver whose parachute doesn't open's family doesn't sue you when he, by freak accident, crashes and dies in your backyards?

Yes, I believe the PPA offers a million dollar liability policy, coupled with legal aid. I'm joining the PPA soon, but not for the policy.

<i>but you're not solving the problem taking out huge policies, you're MAKING IT WORSE</i><p>

boycotting the insurance industry isn't going to address the issue of predatory and frivolous litigation.

moral outrage doesn't do much for you when you're being sued, nor will indignation sway a venue from waiving it's insurance requirements. <p>

you can choose to work in the US without carrying liability insurance, just as you can choose to shoot a wedding without backup equipment, and you may be fine, but if/when something does happen chance are good you're going to be very unhappy. <p>

but it's a lesson some have to learn the hard way I guess. I wish you the best, but as one who has been though the litigation wringer more than once in the US (BS liability claim included) I really recommend you carry correct and ample insurance. <p>

PPA does not c"over" insurance, THRU them, you can get the assn rate at Hill & Usher. They do have protection as part of their membership form clients suing you, but it is NOT insurance.

Good insurance will cover, you against liability claims, will cover your equipment, and cover any venues you shoot in. ADD to that a great umbrella policy. Keep in mind one problem can cost way more than one million. J

Mr Borowski wrote:

>>> I agree that frivolous lawsuits are a hugh fu**ing problem here and I guess in the UK,

but you're not solving the problem taking out huge policies, you're MAKING IT WORSE.

Why not fence off tripods or hire bouncers so that people don't trip over them. Why not put a huge safety net up over the backyard of your studios so that any skydiver whose parachute doesn't open's family doesn't sue you when he, by freak accident, crashes and dies in your backyards? <<<

Sir,

We seem to both agree that we live in a litigious society. And we might agree that this fact is a pain in the butt for a business.

I, however, take exception to the statement that I am making it worse by taking liability coverage, professionally assessed and recommended to protect my company; my personal property; my family home; my children`s education and my right to carry on successful work in an industry I am passionate about.

Yes, potential litigation is a problem: in my opinion the world would be a better place if we all did unto others . . . but that is not a business reality and I am not about to put my company in business cloud cuckoo land without adequate liability coverage.

Nor will I accept the accusation that my protective and preventative action is contributory to `the problem` without the strongest possible comment to the negative. herewith noted.

Regards

WW