Sticking shutter release on MP

When I first got my MP, the shutter mechanism was as you describe - a bit sticky and uneven (especially with the Abrahamsson softie installed). When I sent the camera to Leica to have the eyepiece sealed under Passport, the camera came back perfect. Now the MP shutter release is buttery smooth.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Bill: Without the Soft Relese, the shutter button performs without any apparent problem.

I gather from your description that the button on your MP was stickiing without the Soft

release fitted. When you sent the MP in for Viewfinder repair, did you mention the

shutter button problem or did they attend to it without your mentioning it? Clearly, as it

stands, the problem is evident only with the soft release fitted and Leica will most likely

balk at at "repair" that can be demonstrated only with a non leica aftermarket appliance

installed.

When I sent the camera in to have the eyepiece sealed I inadvertently did not mention the shutter release issue. Leica adjusted it on their own. It is my understanding the issue was solved with a simple adjustment.

It's been awhile, but yours sounds like a similar issue to the one I had.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Stephen:

A sticking shutter release, whether in a Kodak Brownie or a Leica MP 3, is indicative of a

problem with the shutter release mechanics of the associated camera. I posted this

inquiry not because I am a "fondler" but rather because I value and rely on my equipment

and in that am most concerned when a mojor component appears to be malfunctioning.

The fact that the MP 3 was designed to exhibit a "butterry" release is of signficance if only

as a benchmark for comparison of operational characteristics. Clearly, we are talking

about a camera shutter release and not the trim switch on a Boeing 757 however in either

case a potential malfunction, which is easily indentifiable and correctable, deserves

consideration.