smith victor

frank_vitucci

I don't know about now, but the only association I make with Smith Victor lighting kits is--inexpensive tungsten lighting units. For weddings, not many people use continuous lighting save for maybe a video light with high ISO. I have a copy stand lighting set up using Smith Victor floods, otherwise, not much else. When I was in school, we learned portraiture with these kits, and I remember that the thumb screws on the stands used to slide a lot, and the lamps cut in and out, causing much consternation. If you are going to invest in lighting, I would get the more well made kits, and strobe lighting as well. If you stayed with tungsten/halogen lighting, Lowel lights are a big step up.

I have a couple A80's and an A50 I'll sell at a good price. I don't use hot lights any more. The Smith Victors are not bad lights, are priced well, and seemed plenty reliable to me. However, I never really used them a lot anyway.

But if you're "trying to go a little more full time with my photography," I'd recommend looking into flash units.