Cf vs Cfi

tim_farrell

Is there any big differences that i should know about between a 150 cf and cfi,

I have been offered both in new condition however the cfi is 1500 dollars more

expensive and i dont know if i can justify this cost.

I would also like to know if there are any major differences between the 80 cf

and cfe models.

The camera i will be using them on is the 503 cw.

I would also like to hear from people who own and use the 150mm and 180mm

lenses. I will be choosing between the two of these for portraits and fashion

shooting.

Thanks

The Cfi and Cfe lenses offer some small advantages over the earlier Cf lenses, such as

locking flash socket, slightly smoother focusing, an improved shutter spring, slightly

better internal flare suppression etc. The Cfe lenses were also designed with some specific

advantages when used with the 200 series cameras. The optical designs are identical,

indeed for many Hasselblad lenses such as the 150mm and 250mm, the optical designs

have remained unchanged since the original C series lenses.

The bottom line is that the advantages of the newer lenses are pretty marginal. I've used

them both and to be honest I can't see any differences in the final shots. I've a slight

preference for the newer lenses, mainly because of the locking flash connector which is

useful with the cabling for a digital back, but it would be difficult to put a $1500 price tag

on those small benefits! I'd suggest you handle them both, for your portrait/fashion usage

you may find the smoother focusing of the newer lenses would get you shots that you'd

otherwise miss, but personally I think practise with the older lenses would get you to the

same focusing success rate eventually.

Regarding the 150mm and 180mm. The 150mm is a fine lens that has well served

generations of photographers. However, the 180mm is just that bit better. It's crisper out

in the corners, sharper when used wide open, and is a better performer at closer

distances.

Tim

You really need to handle them both. I use a mixture of CF and CFi lenses and the plus points for me of the CFi are Smooth focussing and flash cable lock, but in terms of overall feel and handling I prefer the rubber waffle style pattern of the CFs to the new ones.

The new shutter spring can be fitted into the Cf lenses when you have them serviced so that is not really an issue.

The altered internal baffling may be useful in very high contrast conditions but I cannot tell any difference doing high key shots.

The other changes are mechanical such as a revised front bayonet that does not mark as easily when a hood is put on and removed, and a revised rear bayonet that is all in one machined piece. Good for assembly in the factory but of no real effect when being used.

Indeed it may be a minus point as if the bayonet is danaged on a CF lens then at least the ring part could be changed wheras with the CFis you need a larger, probably more expensive part.

As for 150 or 180 both are easily sharp enough for most uses. Indeed with the 180 it may be too sharp for anything but the youngest of skins.

The 180 has stronger repuation so is more expensive 2nd hand than a 150. You will of course need a slightly longer working distance with the 180.

The maximum magnifications at minimum focussing distance are different so a short extension tube is sometimes required with the 150.

So If you are planning on shooting outdoors then go for the 180, otherwise if you will be in a studio or doing environmental style portratits where the working distnace is uncertain go for a 150 with a short tube.

With prices at the current level why not go for the 150 to get you started and then save for a 180 to go with it.

Also hiring for a weekend would be useful so you can try them out yourself

Simon

Tim, ditto what Simon P said.

In terms of CF or CFi keep in mind that there is NO optical difference. To encourage Hassey users to upgrade some physical enhancements were made. Others have named those enhancements. The most significant enhancement is the new interior barrel coating in the CFi lenses - which is said to enhance contrast but users say that has only been visible in extreme high key images. Remember that by any standard the CF lens barrel coating was fine and there were no "issues" with it.

All my lenses are CF except one and I never notice any difference between CF and CFi.

With regard to 150 or 180 just decide upon which focal length will give you the most use. I had the 180 before I added the 150. The 180 is regarded as one of Zeiss' sharpest lenses and that is because it was one of the few new optical designs in decades when it was released in the CF version. Just decide which is more usable, feels best to you etc.. The 180 is longer and heavier than the 150. Some say the 180 is so sharp they often do female portraits with a Softar fitted to make the lens less "brutal". I have done the same.

But both are excellent lenses so your choice is best based upon what you will use the most and not what you think is optically superior. The 150 is so freely available used because so many pros had them and preferred their mix of relative compactness and focal length flexibility.