mike simons

As the New Year gets underway, I offer up a conversation-starter to the

forum... In my full-time job as a high school teacher, I often use sentence-

starters to get my kids thinking and focused for the day's topic. Here's one

for the forum, pertaining to wedding photography specifically:

"The one thing I wish (someone had told me/I had known) as I was getting

started is _____________________________________."

Be it serious, funny, technical skills-based, interpersonal dealings, or

something else altogether, what say you?

Enjoy Saturday.

-MCS

"The one thing I wish (someone had told me/I had known) as I was getting started is _____________________________________."

on photography, generally speaking:

The one thing I wish (someone had told me/I had known) as I was getting started is that most photographers pretend to be limited by their gear (ie. low light autofocus, frames per second, etc.), but this is not the case. Most photographers are limited by their ability to vision and imagine in creative ways.

on wedding photography:

Learning how to master flash will make things a lot easier for you.

on event photography:

photographers have a reputation for being cranky and having a bad attitude. Don't be one of them.

To quote Marc williams... you will get all the freeloaders you can handle.

God! How that is true. CAP (my new term for Cheap A$$ People) ie... concert promoter, for example, that can't stop at getting his bands published in the newspaper. Heaven forbid Freelancing photographer (empahsis on free) try to make a few $$ selling images to band members. Blackmails you saying he will badmouth you to the Society if you don't provide images... blah blah blah!

Do nothing for free once you have built your potfolio! Repeat it and post it somewhere you can see it every day.

The best advice I did receive was not to stress over my work starting out (since I started out as a 2nd shooter) - my senior photographer always told me that he made every mistake in the book, so live and learn, but don't make the same mistake twice, and the experience will get you where you need to go. He was right! 32 weddings later the same year and I've got my own package options and am truly a pro. It's an honor, really! And I can only go up from here. :-)

I agree with you who said about not working for free and/or giving gifts but not discounts! It's hard, even for friends, to figure out what's a small favor and what's business.

Hello Valerie:

32 is a good number: I went about 50 as an assistant, and did those in about a year too.

If I can have another crack at the question, but with a different spin (yeah yeah yeah heard it a lot on this forum):

I wish I could tell everyone who is getting started in the Professional Wedding Photography business: do between 32 and 50 as an assistant first.

Happy New Year.