Alien Bees or Calumet

yinkamd

I REALLY love the Alien Bee 1600 that I have. I know everyone recommends them. It's for a good reason too. Easy to use and doesn't eat a chunk out of the wallet. I personally have never used Calumet but heard really good things about them as well.

Good luck on your decision!

I have a pair of AB's (400 & 800) and I admit they're quite nice. However, my first choice were the Travelite's. I chose the AB's on price since the difference was markedly.

At the time of purchase I didnt have the choice, but now it possible to rent them for a week before you make your investmet. I think Calumet has a rental department that you can contact about this.

Good Luck.

Both are good and I have a mix of both, the calumet units are made by Bowens in England

and are very rugged and reliable with a wide selection of light modifiers. Alien Bees are

made in Nashville, TN. Also very rugged, considering their parent company White

Lightning is known for making nearly indestructible strobes, unfortunately they do not

have quite a wide selection of light modifiers, but they are much lighter on the

pocketbook. The one thing Alien Bees do have is a low-cost battery pack available,

something to consider if you plan to work away from outlets. When I say low-cost I don't

mean cheap, I've powered a 2400ws speedo pack on location when the rental generator

stopped working. When it comes to repairs and parts, Alien Bees are fast and inexpensive

unlike my Claumet/Bowens units; mishaps do happen. Things to consider when choosing.