Domke J3 bags for Leica/Rangefinders...

monochrome11

anyone have experience with the J-3 (Ballistic Nylon) bags from Domke for use

with rangefinders/Leicas?

I ordered one from B&H in Dec. 18, received a notice that it was packed and sent

on Dec. 26th but have yet to receive it (I'm located on Toronto)... anyone in

Toronto or elsewhere in Canada order from B&H recently and received their

purchase???

really looking forward to receiving it and using it with my M3/R2A and lenses...

btw - for i've been advised by B&H that international orders must wait 45 days

before filing an insurance claim... this sucks... anyone international

customers with experience making a claim??? your experience would be welcome...

Hi

I had the J3 once - I filled it up with 1 Canon DSLR + grip with 16-35 f2.8L and 70-200 f2.8L, plus a M3 with 50mm and a m6TTL with 35mm, plus flash for both camera systems.

As you can see, the J3 is probably too big for a all rangefinder kit. In fact, I was able to store the M6 and the M3 in each of the 2 side padded pockets (one of the nice things about the J series - the padded side pouches) with their respective lens attached.

I just purchased another J3 bag. I've carried a black leather J3 for many years that was made as a promo for Agfa about fourteen years ago. They were sold for a while for about $500 but got my bag for something like 1500 agfapan boxes or something like that. I carry two M bodies and a variety of 4 or 5 lenses. The new one is olive canvas and I like it about as well but I added a camera single compartment to help protect the camera so I can only carry one body inside the bag. I also added a small side pouch with a single padded insert and can carry another M in it. Very good choice.

I use a Domke F-803 bag with the 3 partition insert. I carry a M7 and a M3 both with lenses

mounted. I toss in a few other lenses, loads of film and other odds and ends. It is a small

satchel and doesn't look much like a photo bag.

I am using a Domke J803 with the three compartment insert.

You can fit an M and five lenses, or two M's and four lenses using rear lens caps glued together for back to back lenses in the same compartment. This leaves the front two pockets for accessories and the rear compartment for magazines/papers. Another advantage of this bag is that the shoulder strap unclips and is replaceable with one of the Optech Pro bag straps, or any other strap you might care to use.

Eric.