I hope I am my worst Critic

idobelieve

Okay, I admit it, I am a huge woose and I have been afraid to contact my

clients after they receive their images to get there feedback. I am scared that

they hate them and will rip me to shreds. I've never had this response to my

work before. I have gotten only good or no feedback from B&G's, but I have

heard other brides (friends) talk about hating there wedding pictures. So I am

admitting this here as my first step towards not being an overly selfcritical

hermit. I am being ridiculous and holding myself back from growing right?

Do your worst...

Well, what do you think of their images? In your professional opinion, are they good or bad? Is there anything to not like about them? From the way you doubt yourself, it sounds like you have cause to worry about it. If you think the images look great, then you need to believe in your work and not give the bride and groom any opportunity to be unhappy with it.

Uhm... Michelle... if the wedding you are talking about looks like the shots on your website, then I REALLY think you are far too hard on yourself. The stuff on your site is beautiful! It's good to look at your own work critically, but, if your stuff is up to your standards, which you present on your site, then ... I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Michelle, your images are stunning. If the wedding in question is anything like the work you show on your website, then you should have no problems. However, sometimes brides can get werid, and sometimes you get a client that is impossible to please, no matter if you shot the wedding perfectly. Sometimes a bride might have a poor self-image and be unhappy with the images because she does not like how she looks. Sometimes you get people who cry for joy at the sight of their pictures, and some who are completely indifferent. That does not mean that you are a bad photographer, or that they are unhappy.

I understand how you feel. I used to worry too, but the sad truth is, it's not common for a person to say thank you. At the reception I was photographing this past Saturday, a former bride of mine from an August wedding that now lives out of state was there. I never heard anything from her after she got her album and prints, but she came up to me and gave me a hug! She also told me she had a card that she had forgotten to send to me, but would. People get busy. Some don't know how to say thank you. Most don't realize how many of us really truly care about their happiness with our work. Some think it's simply a business transaction and no thank you is needed. The longer I do this, the less I worry. I think that the unhappy people are the ones who are most likely to make contact and complain. So, silence, most of the time, is not a bad sign.

Being self-critical "IS" how you get better. I like the photos on your website, If I was going to be as critical as you , I would not have all the horizons tilting to the left,and I would concentrate on showing more of the people faces and expressions. Many of the photos I looked at the faces where hidden by hands, turned heads,bubbles,things like that. I am always the hardest person to please, and I think that's a good thing.

Hi Michelle!

I didn't look at your work, because it really doesn't matter what *I* think, only what your

clients think! :)

I have to tell you though, I deal with the EXACT same fears EVERY time we shoot a

wedding. We've never had anything but positive responses, but I'm always terrified

nonetheless! The longer we've been in business, the less freaked out I get. I suppose that

now I'm just used to the flow of things, and I'm more confident in my work.

One of the things we did to help:

99% of our clients prefer to have all of our communication by e-mail, which is especially

great because it allows us to have a "paper trail" of communication. When we've finished

processing someone's wedding, we e-mail them the link to their gallery, along with a

detailed reminder of the items included in their package, and what (if anything) they need

to do next. (E.g., choose images for album, etc.) At the end of the e-mail we say, "We

can't wait to hear back from you once you've looked through all of your photographs! We

know you'll love them just as much as we loved working with you!" - or something to that

effect. Just saying "we can't wait to hear from you..." seems to influence people to

respond. We get anything from a simple "Thanks! We love them" to long, fantastic

testimonials.

We also have begun putting a link on each couple's gallery page that takes you to our

blog, where you can add a comment on the photographs. This has allowed us to get

comments from parents, grandparents, friends, etc. Great stuff! If we don't hear back

fromt he couple right away, we most certainly will hear from someone else who has looked

at their photos!

Just keep putting yourself out there and communicate with your clients! It will just make

them love you even more! :)

Remember - No news is good news.</p>If the clients don't like the work, you better

belive that they will contact you. Everytime. </p>If you would like feedback, pick up the

phone or

drop them an email. Everyone loves to be invited to an informal coffee or lunch so step out

and get some feedback. You may be suprised at how much they actually love their images.

Few clients will take the time to write a thank-you, but lots will complain if everything is not

just perfect. So, congratulations! It sounds like you are doing great.

I think I agree with Anne, as well as the others because and I did not review your wonk on the link because it doesn't matter. I feel I may get flamed here but to take the thought further, I would suggest you consider moving away from wedding photography if you feel your lack of ability would cause a client to be critical of the work they are paying you to perform. As a potential client I would hesitate to engage your services if you showed such a lack of confidence in person as you do in your question. Since I can only base my comments on this one post and having never met you, I am certain my observations may be in error. But I feel, and I may be speaking for others, that self-deprecation can be taken too far. If you feel your work is inferior, then change something. If you are wanting a pat on the back for work that is clearly poor in quality then we would only be making it worse by praising average work. If you want a pat on the back for work that is up to the standards of the professionals in your area then don't hold your breath, its business and that means competition.

I think maybe Benjamin is MY worst critic ;)

Thanks for the positive responses as well as the critical ones. I admit that I was allowing

my vulnerability show through more than a professional should. I am not looking for a pat

on the back....I think I ought to have not put my weblink up (Mary, feel free to remove it) I

what I what I wanted to hear is that other professionals that I really admire, have (or had)

some nerves too. Thankyou Anne and Cindy for sharing that with me, and Michael for the

constructive criticism. As for changing to a less stressful or nervewracking career--NO

WAY! I don't fall to my nerves that easily! Life is about taking risks. I am going to stop

being such a ninny and find out what my clients have to say.

Thanks again...