Bridal Mags vs. Expos: Which gives the best advertising bang for the buck?

marcie m

I'm looking to bring my photo business out of cold storage after spending a

while in a non-photo related career and starting a family. I won't have much

money to spend on start up costs since I need to spend most of it on getting a

basic camera set up. What I really need is to know where I can best spend my

advertising dollars? On print/web advertising or by having a booth/table at a

bridal show?

For those of you who have done both, what do you think gives the best ROI

(return on investment)?

A little background about myself: I was a press photographer for several years

then got a non-photo related job in order to settle and have a family. I've only

shot one wedding (with rented equipment) in the last few years. I'm looking to

convince my clients I'm a competent photographer by using my press and event

photography portfolio.

Is there any way you can hook up a few weddings before you go full out with the advertising and business plans? In my experience, wedding clients want to see wedding photos (unless you have prior personal connection to them). That isn't to say that you COULDN'T start from scratch with few wedding photos. Just that when deciding between a guy who has a bunch of wedding images in his portfolio and one who doesn't, the client is likely going to go with the experienced photographer.

Marcie,

I am myself in a pretty similar situation. I will do a bridal fair next weekend which had given me a lot of things to think about before I signed the contract. I hope it will worth all the money that I've spent on the show. Luckily the same company that organizes the fair is the publisher of a local bridal magazine too, so I got some good deals on putting an 1/4 page AD in the magazine. I am expecting more business from the bridal show though.

IF you are kind of a people person and you have strong sales skills and you think that people will like you, than go for the bridal show. Nothing can replace personal contact and if they like you, as long as your photos are OK, you'll be getting business there.

Also consider about the bridal fair that you have to have enough money to spend on it. I used to think that the biggest cost will be the rent for a booth. How wrong I was. It turns out that I'm spending about 60% of my budget on things that I will display on my booth. Prints, albums, flyers, business cards, renting the necessarry audio-visual equipment and so on. Beware of that.

If you don't have all the money or you're not that strong on social skills, go for the magazine ad. Check out the circulation of the magazine and get copy to take a look at the other photographer's ad.

good luck.

Honestly, I think neither of these give a big bang for the buck. I think you'd do better by

seeking out other wedding professionals in your area and taking them out for coffee,

listening to their expertise about getting into the industry, and then exchanging cards with

them. If I had to choose between expo and mag.. at least the expo allows you to have some

kind of personal contact, in order to develop a relationship with a potential client.

I started my business this year by myself on a tight budget,first take some nice shots of brides even if you need to dress a friend up as one and take her to the park. Then build a website, then list on all of the free sites...wedj.com...etc. Start slow or it can be overwhelming. Wedding photography is unlike any other kind....People are not always on their best behavior during weddings and it can get tough. You need thick skin to make it. I hope you are good with people because that is the key and good with low light restricted situations. If you can handle that you'll do fine.

OH and pray a lot, because they won't let you cuss in church when you F*** up the shot! ;-)

You all bring up some excellent points. Thank you! Anne, I've already done that with a few photogs in the area. However, despite feeling really stoked about selling myself at a show or print ad, I'm rather reluctant about trying to do more of that.

Amanda, your suggestion about taking a friend out and dressing her up was a real lightbulb moment. D'uh! I can at least get a small "best shot" portfolio doing that.

I agree about needing a thick skin. What was a real challenge when I was in business was dealing with prospective wedding clients because they were first time photo buyers. I loved my corporate and editorial clients because they new exactly what they wanted and didn't blink twice when I would ask them to sign a contract, give a deposit, pay an invoice, the whole transaction was easier.