Digilux 3?

I have briefly used a Digilux 2 and share the admiration expressed around this form for its marvelous lens,

intuitive controls and image quality at low ISOs. I also share the frustration expressed over the clunky

viewfinder and smallish sensor, as well as few other minor annoyances.

Do the members here see a Digilux 3 in Leica's future? Or is the fixed lens, premium priced, near-DSLR

camera a thing of the past?

Personally, I'd love to see an upgrade, but perhaps this will never happen. Opinions? Gossip? Inside

information?

Leica announced the Digilux 3 at Photokina in September 2006.

It is a 7.5MP digital SLR, made by Panasonic, and comes with an interchangeable Leica branded (but Panasonic-made) zoom lens with shake reduction. The basic design is that of the Olympus Four Thirds E-330, with a Panasonic sensor and the Olympus dust removal system.

As usual, there is a much cheaper Panasonic version, the DMC-L1, which differs in such tiny details that no-one can reliably tell you what they are.

Try here for the Leica version:

http://tinyurl.com/vp4j5

And for the Panasonic version:

http://tinyurl.com/ychtvq

the mount to Digilux 3 is four-thirds (FT)

any of the FT mount lenses will work, olympus/sigma/leica D/.

the image quality appears to be very much like digilux 2,

just a different DoF.

there are no reviews publicly accessable for D3 however, the Panasonic L1 is quite similar, as was the case with Digilux 2 and LC1. So Find a L1 review and check it out. this is a fair one

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/PanasonicL1/index.shtml

Riley

I've had the joy of using one for a week or so. Its a bit heavy/bulky but its an awesome camera. The lens is the best part and makes up most of the cost-its twice as much as the body. I recommend it, if you don't have to have the leica branding then go with the panasonic and save some dough

I read in a review of the Panasonic camera which said there is a shutter delay of one second.

I am looking for a camera to buy, and that would make it a non-question for me. Does

anybody have experience with it? Does it really take that long?

"I read in a review of the Panasonic camera which said there is a shutter delay of one

second."

Somebody lied. Perhaps that's how long it took them to acquire focus and then release the

shutter. But 'release lag' or 'shutter delay' is measured in milliseconds. Chances are you

will perceive it as instantaneous.

Joshua,

I am looking at the Digilux 3/Panasonic L1. If you don't mind, could I ask a couple of questions?

I do not have a lot of exerience with digital cameras, but I know that these are somewhat different in design. I like the concept of an aperture ring on a digital camera, as that would be more natural for me to use.

To which lenses would you compare the kit lens quality?

Is the view-finder bright?

How fast does the camera start-up?

I have been researching the camera, but have not found answers to all of my questions yet. :)

I do not mean to monopolize this thread, I just have a lot of questions about these cameras.

Regarding the 1 sec. delay, here is the quote:

Shutter release Delayed approx. 1 sec *3

*3 Because the mirror has to come down and the shutter close before the exposure can be taken (also for metering, see *2).

(under DMC-L1 Live View, on the dpreview.com page, linked above)

On my digital p&s I can't stand the delay between my pushing the shutter button and it taking the picture. I miss my shots when I am trying to capture action.

Can someone who owns the camera discuss this?

Well, the live view is kind of kludged onto the camera. It lets you see the picture on the

back of the camera on the screen, instead of the view through the viewfinder which is

optical. I don't know why you would use it except for tripod shots. The normal view

through the porroprism and off the mirror, reflecting 'real' photons.