Best Lowepro bag for D200 and 18-200

robert_crc

I could go through Lowepro site and measure gear and bags but since this is very

popular camera/lens combo I am sure that there are somebody who can recomend

apropriate bag from Lowepro for D200 and Nikkor 18-200 only.

I have several photo bags (bigger, smaller, better and worse) and some are to

big and some too small.

I have Off trail 1 (too small, tight)) and Off trail 2 (too big).

I need something good, strong, to protect camera and lens and still be easy and

fast to take gear out and put it back in.

No need additional space for extra lenses or accesories but only for one filter

and would like that original lens shade can stay on lens (in reverse position

off course).

Thank you all.

For that exact combo, I frequently use a <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FTamrac-Digital-Zoom-5684-Steel%2Fdp%2FB00024ET8I%2Fsr%3D8-4%2Fqid%3D1168293380%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Delectronics&tag=uplandlife-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325">Tamrac 5684</a>. I find that I usually end up removing the shoulder strap, and hang it off a belt instead (it has the right loops on the back). The 18-200's hood does indeed need to be flipped around backwards, but that just feels better anyway, storage-wise. The various flat-ish zipper compartments are perfect for some batteries, etc., and the in-the-top internal is where I keep filters. There's also a couple of slots just for CF cards.

<br><br>

Check it out - I like mine a lot. It also squashes flat and fits into my Crumpler pack for when I want to move the whole rig (strobes, other lenses, laptop, and the rest). Oh, one catch: you cannot fit the D200 into the Tamrac if you have the MB200 grip mounted. I've yet to find that to be a problem if I'm in walk-around mode. You'll like that the cover zips all the way closed, but also closes with a quick-release fastener. When I'm in good weather and thinking I might need to quick-draw, I just use that fastener so I don't have to mess with the zipper. Hey, not bad at all for $30!

For the requirements that you mentioned, a camera holster, designed for zoom lenses would probably be the most convenient. Nothing to carry. Just strap it on like a cowboy gun holster, and you have nothing swinging around, and both hands are free.

Mine are Soligor(most DSLR's) and Optex(longer version for 75-300mm), each on their own wide, quick release nylon belts. Any good camera store should be able to find them for you, if they don't stock them. They really are ideal for just wandering around, climbing, etc. They have braided nylon/leather hinged tops for weather protection, which also have quick release/seat belt type locks, but naturally, much smaller.I've had mine for about 20 years, and they still look like new. They weren't very expensive, either.

I have a Slingshot 200AW used once I'd be willing to part with. It fits a D200/18-200 great, and works with the battery grip too. I've ended up using a Crumpler $6M Home for everyday use and a ThinkTank belt/harness for other things. I just didn't like the feel of wearing the Slingshot.

I travel by plane and like a light setup to haul around on my trips. I use that body/lens

combo with a LowePro Top Loader 65 AW with the shoulder strap. You can add a lens case

externally if you wish. Also usable with a belt or harness. I also use the LowePro MiniMag AW

when I add the 12-24 and want to carry an SB-800. The MD-200 grip also fits the Mini Mag.

i have the Compact AW and love it.

D200, 17-35 2.8, 12-24, 50 1.4, 85 1.4 10.5 fisheye and the 105 micro all fit nicely with

one lens on the camera. all lenses are NIkon except the Tokina 12-24.

it's a reasonable size and super sturdy. check it out.

I see that some of you are not concentrated when reading my post :-)).

I do have shoulder bag (three) of different size, backpack from Tamrac, Lowepro Off trail 1 and 2 with Lowepro "Utility Case" and "Snap Top AW". What I need is something like Toploader 65 AW or similar that will be just the right size for my gear.

Slingshot 100/200 is a strange beast and I will invastigate it more closely today (actualy I have see that in some general shop few days ago and have hold it in my hands for some time.

I ask for Lowepro because 1) there is a best offering of their equipment in my city, 2) Lowepro is producer dedicated to photographers, not just everything like Case Logic or similar 3) I do have several things of their equipment and I am happy with it 4) the value for money is fair.

Thanks for any info.

I, too, like the LowePro AW gear for the protection - impact and water. I say again, the

65AW

is a good fit and not too bulky. I have used the same setup with an F100 and 17-35, f2.8. I

also carry a couple of Gepe Extreme Card Safes for the CD cards

http://www.gepecardsafe.com/eng/index.asp?mainID=47&subID=183

and two extra D200 batteries. Makes for a light travel kit. There is room between the lens

dividers and the bag wall to slip the card safes or the batteries plus you have the front

pocket. A 1W slip lock case will hold the 18-200 or the 12-24 (or even the 17-35 but it is

snug because of length). The AW65 with 1W has been through several trips to Europe and

worked very well.

<p>My D70 usually travels in my Lowepro Off Road. The 18-200 VR (and other iterations like the 24-120, 24-85 and 18-70 before it) is usually attached. The 50/1.8 nestles neatly inside and there is ample room for a flash, P&S, several Clif bars or whatever else you need. In the outside lens pouches ride some combination of the following: 80-400 VR, a 1 L Nalgene in a Lowepro bottle pouch and my new 14/2.8. The Off Road has a front pouch that holds batteries, CF cards, etc. The shoulder strap is convenient, but on the trail I use the waist strap exclusively. It's comfortable, secure and tough.</p>

<p>When I need a bigger pack, most of the Off Road stuff stays home and the D70 18-200 VR combo goes in my SunDog Zoom Bag. This thing has been out of production for a while, but is worth hunting for. It comes with a shoulder strap, but I hang it off my backpack waist belt and leave it in front right on the buckle. The lid opens away for easy access and has a wide lip that provides ample weather protection. It velcros closed for casual use and buckles closed for more security. There is a weather sleeve that cinches the top closed beneath the lid when rain or snow flies. The front zipper pouch holds plenty of batteries, cards and filters. I got snowed on at Trail Camp high on Mount Whitney and it rained the entire 8 miles back to Whitney Portal. The D70 survived and stayed dry. Good luck.</p><div>00JVMU-34413584.jpg.bfe402c9886aa1a201048794cf4bba93.jpg</div>

• 2 months later...