EF 100 f/2 and 1.4X?

james_alexander

My (possibly incorrect) understanding is that the Kenko and/or Sigma TCs will work with the 100/2.0. Look around for the reviews, but I seem to remember that at least one of the third party TCs gets good ratings.

My guess is that unless you are shooting test charts on Tech Pan, the 100/2.0 + third party TC converter would produce very good images. The 135/2.8 softfocus lens is said to be a good lens with softfocus disabled. Also, it's very light and takes 52mm filters. I'd think, though, that even used, it'd be a lot more expensive than a third party TC.

Soligor 1.7x functions fine with my 100/2. No comment on the photo quality at this point. Probably publishable results but MTF-curves drop from 5..20 units. My experience with the Soligor is such that with an average lense the outcome is next to intolerable but with a good lense like EF70-200/2.8 (and 100/2) the outcome is acceptable. It's definitely optically far worse than Canon 1.4x and 2x. However it seems to tolerate counter light better (lower number of lenses?).

<p>Some third-party TCs also have protruding front elements and will not physically fit this lens for the same reason that Canon's TCs won't. Other third-party TCs do not have protruding front elements and will fit just fine. With a lens this good, if you get a good TC, the results should be pretty good, particularly if you stop down a bit. But as others have suggested, the 135/2.8 will probably do at least as good a job, optically, though its AF system isn't as quick or quiet and carrying both the 100/2 and 135/2.8 in your bag will take more space than the 100/2 and a 1.4x.</p>

I've had the 85/1.8 and have the 100/2 now. As far as I can tell the latter focuses faster than the former (I think even faster than the 135/2, although I only compared them in a store). At one point I was also interested in pairing the 100/2 with a 1.4x extender to get a small 200/2.8, finding that Tamron's would work very well indeed.

I've had the 85/1.8 and have the 100/2 now. As far as I can tell the latter focuses faster than the former (I think even faster than the 135/2, although I only compared them in a store). At one point I was also interested in pairing the 100/2 with a 1.4x extender to get a small 200/2.8, finding that Tamron's would work very well indeed.

Mr Alexander,

Not quite sure what your question is now, but hope these facts assist:

1. I have the 85mm F1.8 and it is magic for portraiture, landscapes and low light photography, to name a few applications on a 20D (x1.6 FoV).

It is really a great value for money lens and I chose it over the 100mm F2.0 for two reasons: the slightly faster speed; and 85mm is a more useable `al round` Focal Length for my purposes.

Also getting the 85mm initially allows my purchase of a 135mm F2.0L later. [thus making the 100mm an expensive luxury].

2. Both x1.4II and x2.0II teleconverters only fit on lenses 135mm or longer: with exceptions.

The 70 to 200mm zooms are an exception [all four, I think, but you need to clarify with Canon Data].

And also there are some anomalies which are not necessarily publicised by Canon such as 24mm TS-E and others which I can not recall off the top of my head, but a search through this forum will surely uncover a list somewhere.

Regards

WW