color printers that prints directly onto the cd? The thermals get really pricey

but I am looking at the U-Print Thermal CD/DVD Disc Printer which is very

cheap. I'm also looking at the Epson R260 and R380 Stylus Photo Inkjet CD/DVD

Printers which both go for under $200. Anyone have experience with these models

or have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I use and really like this company.

http://www.mixonic.com/

I use them for each slideshow. The only problem I have is that I order too many "just in case" spares. However, I have loaned my spares out as examples of my work so it's really not so bad :)

Highly recommend if you want professional results, small qty, and don't want to invest in your own equipment.

I think it doesn't matter much unless you can produce a factory-produced looking CD... I tend to agree with Mendel. Either do it full-on (factory printed CDs) or just use a sharpie - both approaches project a professional image. Anything in the middle may look desperate, wasteful and/or amateurish.

I use the older Epson R300m which does a great job printing directly on the cd. The program is super easy just pick an image that has space for the hole in the middle. I am new to weddings but shoot on the beach a lot. I buy the double cd blank boxes. One cd on the left has the images and the DVD slide show is on the right side. I use the same picture with different text on the cd and on the DVD. I have a template jacket made in ps for the jacket that slides in the outside plastic. Looks awesome. One time I was handing to a client and her friend booked me on the spot looking at the box and three prints I dropped off.

Primera makes several thermal printers in black-only or color. The cheapest one is less than $140. This is as close to silk-screening as you can get, and doesn't run when wet like inkjet labels. Production quality thermal printers cost $2000 to over $4000. Thermal printers require smooth discs for best results. Textured discs (e.g., MAM) are problematic and discs with embossed labels can't be used at all.

Paper labels do not ruin CDs in a year, nor twelve years in my experience. DVDs are even less at risk, since the dye/reflective layer is sandwiched between two layers or polycarbonate. CDs are protected by a thin layer of lacquer.

Pigmented inkjet printers, like the Epson R800 work best with CD labels. The discs themselves are expensive, and not available on the best media. Light-scribe discs are even more restricted, and the printing is much too slow for anything but occasional onesies.

• 3 years later...

<p>Lightscribe.</p>

<p>And $150 for a Lightscribe drive is highway robbery. I got one (external drive lightscribe) at Officemax last year for 60 bucks. Watch for sales. I heartily disagree that you either take it to a shop or use a Sharpie. Lightscribe looks good, and doesn't force you to charge your clients an extra 50 bucks a wedding to cover the printing on their CD.</p>

<p>I've never done the print-directly-on-CD printers. Maybe I'll have to look at that.</p>