EOS Rebel XT or XTi ?

lana_oxford

Hello all,

The rebel xt or xti.. the rebel xt is very much like my 35mm and cheaper so I

might be able to buy a nice lense. The xti seems to be very dummy proof and

not much learning about how things really work just push this button and it

does it which is nice but at one point I want to really know how to do all of

the things it does on my own. Any feedback I could get would be great...

It will be used for,potraits of my kids,pictures of europe (where I live right

now),landscapes,sunsets.

Thanks,

Lana

Both cameras are pretty much equally "dummy proof" in automatic modes, and both

cameras can also be operated in full manual. I wouldn't make that part of your decision.

But your idea about spending less on the body and more on a lens is a good idea. I

believe you'll find lots of support for that here. A Canon rep told me that the image

quality from the 8mp digital rebel is essentially the very same as the image quality from

the $4000 EOS 1Ds Mark IIN, Canon's professional photojournalism/sports camera. The

difference is in the build of the body and some of the functions like focusing, etc.

I don't think you'll ever regret buying top quality lenses. Consider whether you anticipate

going to full frame sensors eventually. If so, avoid the EF-S lenses. If not, the EF-S lenses

can be of excellent quality.

Dont buy either of these cameras to use them in dummy "green box" mode. Save your money and buy a really good point & shoot if thats what you are intending on doing with one of these cameras.

If you intend on learning photography beyond Point & shoot buy the XTi. We have had both and the XTi is far superior not even including the 2mp boost in resolution. When you own both it's not hard to tell that the XTi is much better all the way around. Biggest thing is the superior AF system on the XTi to me but the larger screen is a godsend also.

Good glass is also important but you aren't going to get an "L" lens with the $200.00 you will save on the the difference between the cost of an XT and XTi anyways. Get the XTi and the kit lens, it's really very good unless you are a fairly experienced DSLR user. You wont be able to appreciate the difference until you are well into the learning curve anyhow if you are new to DSLR's. Unless you have owned film SLR's in the past, you have a lot of learning to do before you will even be able to take as good of pictures as you can with a good point & shoot camera.

Good luck and have fun.

Just wanted to point out a typo on Peter's post. I think you meant the sales rep was talking about the $4000 1D MkIIN - not the 1Ds. The 1Ds is around $7000, and has substantially higher image quality than everything in the EOS line besides maybe the 5D (it's 16.7 MPixel and full frame - and comparable to Medium Format film).

As far as XT or XTi - the image quality difference is probably negligable. The only thing that would push me in the XTi's favor is the anti-dust thing. It's not that big an issue on a non-full frame camera, but it would be handy - especially if you change lenses a lot (like me).

<p>In terms of how you interact with these two cameras, they are very similar - quite

nearly the same, actually. Both can be, as you put it, "dummy proof" via automatic

operation modes, yet both can also operate in more or less fully manual modes. If you are

looking for differences between the two cameras that might help you decide which to buy,

you won't find them in this particular area.

<p>There are differences in terms of features, and these may or may not make the

difference in price a significant factor. My feeling is that:

<ul>

<li>If your funds are very restricted - and especially if you would have to make a lens

compromise to get the XTi - the XT is a fine camera capable of excellent photographs.</

li>

<li>If you can afford the difference the slightly higher cost of the XTi gets you: 10MP

sensor instead of 8 MP, dust reduction system, larger monitor, slightly faster/deeper burst

mode, slightly better AF system.</li>

</ul>

<p>For new buyers who can afford it, I suggest that the XTi is worth the cost. Those who

can't afford it will not be disappointed with the XT. Photographers who already own an XT

should probably not bother upgrading to an XTi.

<p>Dan

What I am wanting is a good camera to learn with, I am very much a beginner and wanting one that will go from my need of the dummy proof to learning to actually know what all of the creative functions are on it. I do have a 35mm rebel ti canon also and because when I moved there is not an easy way to develop film here.I am looking into the digital and hopefully will be able to see the results alot faster. So to know what I am doing wrong and learn by taking pics and the digital seems to help with that. I do however still want the one when I get better that I will think is still good camera..if that is possible..lol! Thank you for all of your feedback this website is great! I love it and have already learned so much from it.

"I do however still want the one when I get better that I will think is still good camera"

In that case I would suggest looking at a 20D or 30D. The 30D succeeded the 20D,

adding a larger LCD screen and... well... stuff. Same sensor size, same number of

megapixels (8).

But these definitely have a more professional quality build than the Rebel series. Even just

the presence of the thumbwheel on the back, in my opinion, makes it seriously worth

consideration. (Just FYI, the thumbwheel, in manual mode, controls the aperture, while

the main wheel next to the shutter release controls the shutter speed. On the Rebel XT

and I presume the XTi, the main wheel controls both--you need to use a button in

combination with it to change aperture.) Also the rebels are very light, being built on a

plastic internal frame, while the 20D and 30D are built around magnesium, which gives

them a nice solid heft. I have to say I prefer that feel.

All of that said, I was always very happy with my XT. I've shot something like 13,000

exposures with it, and had few problems.

Lana,

For the purposes stated in your two posts, you won't go wrong with either camera. They work very much alike and the XTi has a few extra bells and whistles for the extra money that won't appreciably affect image quality.

However I would suggest you find a good used Canon 20D with a warranty from a reputable dealer. You can use it in dummy mode when you want to. When you want to work in manual mode, having a thumb wheel on the back to control aperture, and a dial on top to control shutter speed is very handy. Even in the auto modes, having the dial on top to adjust the preferred aperture or shutter speed, and the thumb wheel on the back to bias the exposure compensation is still very handy.

Jim

Lana wrote: ". I do however still want the one when I get better that I will think is still good

camera..if that is possible..lol!"

I appreciate the lol! :-)

I take my photography pretty seriously and I still use an XT. You can go quite far with this

camera or the XTi. (Take a look at the photo displays at here at photo.net and you will see

some excellent work being done with both of these cameras.)

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it already in this thread, so here goes. At this point

in the evolution of digital SLR cameras, many people accept the fact that you will likely

replace your current camera body much sooner than would have been typical in the film

days. The technology is still improving at a rapid rate and "the camera is the film" now that

the sensor is included in the body.

So, if you "over-buy" now expecting that you are buying a camera that will last for years

and years, there is a good chance that a couple years from now your top of the line 2007

camera may look a bit long in the tooth... and you'll start thinking about replacing it.

My philosophy is "buy cheap bodies and expensive lenses." The least expensive quality

camera with a good sensor combined with excellent lenses will serve you better than a

more expensive body with essentially the same sensor and less expensive lenses. Plus,

you'll likely replace/upgrade the camera before too long, but you should be able to keep

the lenses.

Dan

I am a new DSLR using, having bought my XT last summer. I helped a friend buy an XTi this week and it came in the mail yesterday. Now I am seriously considering upgrading for the size of the LCD and the text in the display. My eyesight isn't that great close-up and I have trouble seeing the text in the display, so the larger size is a winner for me. Two questions; what could I get for a gently used XT? And I'm pretty serious about this, would it make more sense to upgrade to a 30D (although not even sure what that price point is).

Thanks!