Nikon FA : repair shop in Vancouver BC

swann_kim

hello,

My Nikon FA has a crack (oh, I don't know when it got that crack! I found it

tonight!!) on its top plate/cover (a chorme one). I guess it has to be replaced.

I am living around Vancouver, BC, Canada. Where should I go or send my FA? Mine

is second handed bought from KEH. Will the Nikon Canada repair mine? Do you know

any good repair shop in Vancouver BC? or somewhere close to it?

Thank you

I already got some answers for my questions:

Nikon Canada is not likely to replace my second-handed FA's top plate. It seems that Nikon Canada does not see my Nikon FA as a valid Nikon product since I'm not the first owner who should have bought it from an authorized dealer in Canada.

Then, I should go to some independent repair shops.

Would you recommend any repair shops around Vancouver BC?

From Nikon Canada Website:

------------------------------------------------

Important Notice To All Consumers ? Beware of Purchasing Grey Market Nikon Products

It has come to our attention that certain Nikon branded photographic and digital imaging product is being imported and sold by unauthorized retailers, both over the Internet and in retail locations. Please note that Nikon Canada is the only official authorized Canadian source for all Nikon branded photographic and digital imaging products. Nikon Canada distributes these products through a network of Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers. Always confirm that your camera retailer (whether electronic or 'bricks & mortar') is an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer. Please consult the Dealer Locator for a list of Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers.

If you purchase Nikon branded photographic or digital imaging product from anyone other than an authorized Nikon Canada dealer, beware that Nikon Canada does not, and will not, provide parts, repair services, warranty service or technical support for any such product.

Nikon Canada only offers repair services or parts (including warranty service and technical support) for products purchased from one of its Authorized Nikon Dealers.

-------------------------------------------------------

Try calling Horst at 604-263-5820. He used to own Van-Cam, the camera repair shop just north of Broadway near Fir St. He still does camera repair...well, he was still at it about 3 yrs ago when I had my rangefinder's focus tested by him.

Failing that, give Beau Photo or Leo's Cameras a call. They should be able to recommend a place.

larsbc

I would go to Van-cam as a last resort. There shouldn't be any rocket science to replacing a top cover but I've heard from photo friends of dissatisfaction with Van-cam's work.

Brighouse Camera in Richmond used to be excellent. I don't know about today but at least I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Camtex is in Vancouver & should be good. I have no experience with them nor have I heard anything bad.

Unless Horst has or can get the part, he probably can't do much.

Cheers,

Duane