Nikon D2X

crob2go

That is essentially the only camera I used in the last year and half. For whatever it is worth, you can click under my name and take a look at the parts of my portfolio shot within that period. However, it will mainly tell you how good or bad a photographer I am. I doubt that you can tell much about the particular cameras and lenses I use. I have shot plenty of poor images with my F4, F5, Contax 645 and D2X, but of course I am not showing those to the public.

Craig, you're not going to learn anything at all even from seeing photos from a D2X or any

other cam here. First of all, the size of the posted pics is very small and the resolution

poor to evaluate a camera. But mainly, it's the lens that counts. So you'd need to know

especially what lens was used, what aperture, shutter, exposure comp, any filters, how

post-process the photo was, the habits (ways of operating of the photographer who took

the photo).

If you really want to know the difference between D2X and any other cam, take your own

memory card to a camera shop, take a few pics with D2X, then with another cam, using

the same lens at the same settings taking pics of the same subject under the same light

conditions at full res, then take the mem card home, have a detailed look on your monitor,

at 100% size. Then you can evaluate... Cheers, Micheal

Depending on what you shoot, the DSLR body can potentially make a huge difference. I have had only 2 bodies in the 4+ years that I have been shooting digital: D100 and D2X, and there is night and day difference between the two.

The D100 has slow AF and a shallow buffer of only 3 RAW files. When I shoot sports or wildlife action, AF is easily a problem and it also takes literally one second to fill the 3-frame buffer, and the camera is effectively disabled for 7 seconds or so for it to write 1 frame into the memory card. Needless to say, if you use a D100 to shoot sports, you can miss lots and lots of shots, driving you nuts.

However, you'll have to use that camera in actual situations to realize those problems, or, of course, when someone like me who points it out. Just looking at the final images won't give you any of that information.

Again Shun and Tim thanks alot. I forgot to mention earlier of the great shot that you took of the GreenBay Packers. Really Good. What focal length lens were you using and how far from the action were you. Look like you were up close and personal. Also viewed the wedding link. Whoever was behind your D2XS tool some great photo's. Thanks again guys.....Craig

Check out my <a href="http://stinky-tofu.smugmug.com">smugmug page</a>. All the galleries except "Images of China 1998-2005" and "Fall Color" are made with the D2X.</br>

Granted, as Bjorn states, that it is the photographer who makes the images and not the camera/lens, the right equipment can make the photographer's much job easier. As a former user of N90s, F100, and D70 cameras, I find the D2X exceeds my needs in almost every respect, something I can't say for any other camera I've owned. This lets me come home with far more shots that worked the way I intended.</br>

My only gripe is that AF is not as predictable I might want for wide angles (<28mm or so). I think it relates to the size of the AF sensors (they are big in the D2X) relative to my intended subjects when shooting wide angles. In the (unlikely) event that Nikon is listening, a nice feature for the D2Xs 2.0 might be a way to switch the AF sensors to a pinpoint mode.

Michael, I checked out your work on Smugmug. Your work really floored me (really, really good). Never seen a portfolio that good in my life unless I'm reading Nat'l Geographics. That folder with winter shots was simple but so good. You know you are on my favorites list for sure. Thanks for sharing your work.

Tim thanks for the feed back. Both you guys have a blessed New Year....Craig

Craig, thanks for the enthusiastic comments. I do like the National Geographic look, so I particularly appreciate what you said.

Shun, I checked out the article. Interesting to see how big the sensors really are. The author mentioned using hyperfocal focusing, which would be great if only AF zoom lenses had DOF scales. :(

Wouldn't it be great if Nikon provided an auto-hyperfocal mode? I.e., no matter what aperture or focal length you choose, the focus is moved to the hyperfocal distance. Doesn't even sound very difficult, compared to everything else the cameras do these days.

--Michael