Printing Nightmare

donavan_freberg1

Greetings,

I am having some trouble and would appreciate any advice...

I recently moved over to the Nikon camp (D80) from the Canon camp (350D).

So far, so good. The D80 is an awesome tool.

My question is as follows...

When I print to my Canon ip6220D Photo printer using iPhoto, Photoshop or Nikon View, the colors

look off. Skin tones too yellow or orange and colors all blown all to high heaven.

On the screen of my MacBook, they look perfect.

Printed? Terrible.

I would think this has something to do with Colorsync profiles.

I'm lost, and the most confusing thing is that when I print a photo that I took with my 350D, the colors

match spot on perfect. Skin tones look great, foliage is green and colors punchy.

If I print a D80 photo, the skin tones look like Tangerines, foliage looks like dog poo and colors look

washed out.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

Why do the Canon prints look great and the Nikon ones look like crap?

Help!

I've attached a photo of my girl taken with the D80. Manual white balance, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, SB600

flash bounced into the ceiling.

Skin tones look pale and creamy. Just like she looks to the eye. Printed out it looks like an Oompa-

Loompa with a sunburn. I took an almost exact duplicate of this photo with the Rebel XT and it looks

GREAT printed. Just like it does on the screen.

What to do?<div>00JKfP-34202084.jpg.e1a8e833a5d202e14159b727b28377fb.jpg</div>

I had 2 d200's and decided to get a d80 as an extra backup camera. My pictures from the d80 printed extremely oversaturated and, like yours, off in color. I turned down the saturation in the camera and also adjusted my printer's profile to get it right. The strangest thing is that the pictures looked great on my monitor.

You are likely going to have to adjust to printer's profile (manual color settings) It may take some experimentation to get it right.

And you might consider a test frame or two after going to the Custom settings menu and try shooting in Adobe RGB mode. Do you know if your Canon printer uses sRGB or Adobe RGB as the default profile setting? From the Popular Photography D80 review, the Adobe RGB mode offers more when you want to tweak colors in Photoshop.

The D80 images (normally shot in sRGB mode) print without a hitch on a Fuji Frontier machine, and I've never tried to calibrate my monitor to exist with the prints on Fuji Crystal paper.

I have a Nikon D2Xs, a MacBook Pro and PictureProject installed. After reading this thread I

decided to retweak my color settings and discovered that PictureProject installs several

profiles for you to choose from in the colour profile tabs in the MacBook Pro, I chose Nikon

sRGB.

Does everyone use the same?

I personally find the whole calibration process a waste of time and money if you use a

laptop such as the MacBook Pro in several different environment settings (living room,

train, office, light on, light off, etc..). Isn't it more practical to just download profiles and

use them, mostly when Macs have far better screen an image quality?

Any enlightment is mor ethan welcome!

Cheers,

Luis

I think the printers run hot and cold. Hard to get them just right. Even the same model will often vary from one to another. I have the Epson 2200 and gave up on it. I now use the Kodak 1400 and the colors are really close with the D2X I use. Interesting though, there are slight differences between the lenses regarding color, but I have the camera and the printer set to sRGB and only very minor adjustments are required.