Change to B&W in Photoshop

I've never used photoshop before and plan to learn but right now have a few

small tasks I need help with. The first and main thing I need to do is convert

3 images to black and white. I would also like to get rid of the shadows. I've

played around with the clone tool and dodge tool but I can't get anything that

looks good. Can someone either tell me how to convert these to B&W or else (if

you are feeling REALLY kind) throw these in photoshop and repost them? Thanks

so much for all the help!

Shoot...I didn't realize you couldn't link images in this forum. I'll put them in a folder called "images that need altering" in my photo.net portfolio. If anyone can help, by either giving me some instructions or doing a quick alteration I'd definitely appreciate it!

Mercsadies--I have not received any help as of yet. You are the first kind soul to respond! Below is the link to the 3 pictures. I'm learning photoshop but need to clean these up (the main issue is the terrible shadows, but anything to help enhance their appearance) and convert them to black and white ASAP for work. If you could help, I would really, REALLY appreciate it! Please feel free to post instructions, or, if you alter any of them, you can email them to me...my email address is wind@musc.edu THANKS so much!

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=679418

TYler,

change the image to grayscale Via scrolling down the Image section - click on Mode - then choose grayscale. You can then play with the brightness/contrast levels too. Or, when you convert the images to grayscale you can also hit Adjustments in the Image menu, and select Gradient Map, which gives you some options; if you choose the 3rd gradient choice I've founs your B&W's are a bit more deep in terms of the blacks - more contrast without the image looking wierd.

hope that helps.

sheryl

TYler,

change the image to grayscale Via scrolling down the Image section - click on Mode - then choose grayscale. You can then play with the brightness/contrast levels too. Or, when you convert the images to grayscale you can also hit Adjustments in the Image menu, and select Gradient Map, which gives you some options; if you choose the 3rd gradient choice I've found your B&W's are a bit more deep in terms of the blacks - more contrast without the image looking wierd. I've done this often, so it works well.

hope that helps.

sheryl

Converting to grayscale is the worst option--you'll lose details and nuance and the image will

have too much contrast. The are several ways, but the easiest is to go to Enhance-adjust

color-remove color. When you print, don't use grayscale, but keep in RGB mode. There are

ways to adjust with each channel, but it's more complicated, especially if you're a beginner at

PS. Scott Kelby has a good explanation of how to convert in his book "Elements for Digital

Photographers." You can lighten shadows by going to Enhance-adjust lighting-lighten

shadows.

Scott

Hi Tyler,

I agree that grayscale conversion is a poor way to go. However, the purpose of this response has to to with the photos themselves. First of all, try to get farther away from wall when you shoot. (Much farther.) That way you might avoid those cast shadows all together. Second, instead of having the subject's head and body simply facing the camera (which tends to resemble a mug shot or a driver's license photo) try having them turn their body (torso) somewhat to the side, while still facing their head toward you. You'll get a more "portrait-y" look. ALso, if you can pose them sitting down, at a table or desk, it's always helpful to show a hand or two in a portrait, either holding something (a pen, etc.) or just on the table one way or another. I spend a great deal of time on all my portraits figuring out how to include at least one hand.

Finally, if at all possible, try to avoid using flash. If you can get to a window, try side lighting your subject. Flash is always my last choice.

Best of luck!

Larry G