How to remove dust from D70s sensor

asif_ali

Hello everyone... I bought a D70s on that very day I discovered dust on the

sensor. My friend bought the camera from USA to Bangldesh for me. This is my

first DSLR and i am pretty worried how to get rid of tis dust.

So i will be very very very grateful if someone could help me with any advice

or ideas.

Thanks,

Have a Happy New Year,

Asif.

I just bought my first digital SLR, a D200, which I have yet to receive. I am still crying about my beloved film cameras... though I know my Hasselblad and Rolleiflex will still see some shooting. So, I eagerly anticipate any answers. For me, I probably would not wish to do this myself, and instead take it for servicing. I know Calumet Photo in Boston does a service for $60 and they do it in front of you so you can learn how to do it yourself. I haven't done a search here yet, but will do so soon. Probably this is already answered.

A non-contact method, like a blower, is safe and easy, but not particularly effective. Furthermore, it does not remove dust, but rearranges it inside the camera where it can return to bother you. Some dust is just to clingy to remove in this fashion. Never use canned "air" on a sensor - too many impurities in it, and too high a velocity.

The most effective method uses PEC pads (non-woven cloth) and Eclipse fluid (very pure methanol). Dust and spots are actually removed. The next most effective method uses fine brushes to capture dust electrostatically. Contact methods are somewhat risky, but safe enough if all the precautions are taken.

Google is your friend - this is NOT A NEW TOPIC.

Hi Guys,

This could be quite an undertaking as cleaning is a sensitive matter. I own a D1X and a D70. The D1X has been the first to get a cleaning. If you insist on doing this yourself, Giotto's makes a Rocket Air which should be your first choice instruments when attempting sensor cleaning. Failing this, Kinetronics make the SpeckGRABBER Pro and this can be purchased (both items)at B+H in New York.

By all means, DON'T blow your breath on the sensor! DON't touch the sensor! DON't wipe the sensor with tissue! DON't use a can of compressed air or gas!

If you *think* you have dust on the sensor then carefully expose the sensor and inspect it under strong light (sunlight) using high magnification. Give the Rocket Air a few squeezes to blow away any particulate and re-inspect.

Should this fail and you are *SURE* attached particles still remain, CAREFULLY use the SpeckGRABBER Pro and follow that company's instructions when physically touching the sensor. At this point, "If you break it, you've bought it" so follow all cautions and BELIEVE what you are told by manufacturer's instructions.

Asif, what makes you think you have dust on the sensor? Electronic noise can often mimic dust. It's highly unusual for a new camera to have a dirty sensor.

To prevent particles from getting on the sensor, turn the camera face down when removing the lens. When replacing the lens, turn the camera face down. This simple precautionary exercise will help reduce the likelihood of particulate falling onto the sensor.

Refer to you Nikon D70s manual for mirror lock-up and sensor cleaning. The D1X need a special electronic device to expose the sensor. Since I have not yet found need to uncover my sensor then I have yet to intentionally expose the sensor on my D70.

Harold

I remember the first time I cleaned my D200, I only had spots with one lens (18-70) and only when it was between 18-45. I inspected the sensor with a mini light (white light) and didn't see anything. When I took a couple of photos without a lens on, there they were, those little "orbs".<P>I had my doubts that some would blow off, they had been there for some time, but they did.<P>Remember, the drier the air the more charged particles can be and zip right onto that sensor (like a horse to the barn).<P>Regards, Dave

"The only thing I use is a big "hurricane" air blower. I never had dust on the sensor I could not remove with it." -- the best advice.

I use Giottos "Rocket-Air" rubber blower, which is similar to the Hurricane.

If you spot a bust, do not let it sit there and eventually adhere (stick) to the sensor, as it may be harder with time to blow it off, especially if you operate in humid environment.

Some people reported using avacum cleaner or other "harsh" techniques with success, but that seems to be a bit too "radical" and risky approach.

You are going to call me crazy, but I clean my DSLR sensors with a toy balloon air pump. I tested it first in a filter and in a mirror and inspected with a magnifying glass to check remains of oil or anything with negative results. I opened the pump and it is all plastic with no "O" rings or oil inside. I like it because has enough pressure to remove almost anything. When the issue becomes difficult, I use eclipse and pec-pads.

Cheers. And Happy New Year