v._b.

Hello,

I've been offered by a friend to buy Summicron 35mm f2.0 4th version lens

(chrome, made in Germany), serial number starts with 364xxx. He is asking 1100

$. I checked ebay - current prices for 4th version are around 1000$, but I've

read somewhere that 4th chrome version is quite rare, so I'm hesitating - is

it worth paying 1100$?

Valdas

Well, maybe prices are up those days fro 35mm Summicron, I've been bidding on ebay for a month or so, but could not find anything for less than 1000$(4th version). Then + shipping, import duties (if from US, and in Europe it's even more expensive due to FX rate).

No, I wouldn't give that. This price is for a collectors premium not for a person that will use it. I own the v4 and just purchased a new Zeiss 35 Biogon that I feel is a much better lens optically and mechanically. Buy the Zeiss and have a better lens and save some money.

Well, Zeiss is another story. I already own Contax SLR and a few lenses, but wanted fully mechanical rangefinder, so I bought M6. My question is not about what else I can buy for same $, but could I find v4 Summicron for much less than 1100$?

I agree with the other posters. $1100 is too high unless you're wedded to the idea of a chrome lens. But it's not a crazy price, and could be worth the premium over the black lens...to you.

If you buy it, consider the $2-300 premium over a typical black lens lost for a long time.

Skip

I paid USD $950.00 for black version at Ebay 2 years ago.

Mine is a mint with box and leather case.

It's great for b+w and compact, but I would use the current asph version for color and f2.0 performance. The color balance of 4th is little bit off IMHO.

35mm Summicron 4th vers. are somewhat rare in silver chrome. Personally, if I really wanted one I would probably buy it (but at this price only if mint in the box). You may have to wait some time before coming up on another one.

Not much of a "friend" I would say...

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

For some reason the v4 has cult following. I't a good lens but not great. The Zeiss is a great lens. The v4 can be found for roughly $800 to $900 US if you search and will accept one that's less than perfect. Why do you want the v4 vs the better Zeiss? The Zeiss is even better than the new asph 35 summicron.

Make sure you really want the chrome. It's constructed on a brass mount, so it weighs more than the black (aluminum) lenses, which also changes the balance of the camera. It's obviously less of an issue with a 35mm lens than with, say, a 90mm Summicron, but there is a difference.

I have this lens. In fact, I had two at one time. One got beat up (not serious) the focusing ring got dented. I placed it in the 2nd hand shop (Singapore) for US$1000 and it was gone in 2 days. It didn't even have full packaging. I was told by the shop owner that a China Chinese bought it. They are really into Leica now. Much like the Japanese.

Though they are rare they do surface once in a while. I use this lens while shooting people, mostly in groups and the Summilux Asph if I want sharp and contrasty with a ZING.

Anyway, you won't lose your pants at that price. You can always sell it and get your money back. I'll buy it if you want to sell it!

The primary reason for the 4th versions "cult following" is its reputation as the "bukeh king." I had one myself some years ago I used side-by-side with the current Asph version. Personally, I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Ultimately, I sold the v4 to a friend for what I had into it.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Seems to me like the last two answered you quite well. Like most Leica lenses, you will not lose any money by buying this lens today at this price . . . even if you sell it after 6 months of use. And if you wait a year and find a Chinese buyer, you'll make $400 profit. The Chinese as a whole are sitting on a $ 130 billion dollar positive trade balance this year. That money has to go somewhere.

Thanks for all opinions. I decided to buy this one. I'm in Europe and shipping from US makes it more expensive by some 25%, so even if I'm lucky to find it somewhere at 800$ or so, it would make almost the same after shipping and taxes. And here i had the chance to inspect the lens before buying. Glass is mint, body is not perfect, but that's OK and it has both caps (but not box). And US dollar is cheap those days, so in EUR price sounds right.