to flash...

The same in S-mode (shutter prio), too.

Why does the camera warns about the exposure (as I would use it without the

flash) when shooting in non-P-mode? Flash set to iTTL (non-BL for indoor). ISO

200 always. I checked the manual of my camera and flash, too , but didn't

really found the answer.

Thanks,

István

I used to wonder about the same thing. I have never really received an exhaustive answer, but here is how I have come to understand it. The in camera meter is an reflected ambient light meter which "sees" the available light minus flash. The iTTL meter then displays the expected exposure of the photo, which is this case is significantly underexposed, or on the light meter scale all the way to the negative side. The camera then realizes a flash is attached or pops up the built in flash and tells the sets the flash output to offset the lack of ambient light. When you depress the shutter the camera fires and the flash compensates to properly expose the photo. I may be over simplfying or incorrectly explaing things.

There is a marked difference in 'philosophy' in what Nikon shows the user in different modes. In P-mode, some information is effectively 'held back' so that the user doesn't see any info that he might not understand that would alarm him.

When you switch to A, S, or M mode, the camera meter becomes a more useful tool for judging the ambient exposure. Lots of wedding and event photographers take a fair amount of care to ensure that the ambient is pleasingly 'balanced' with the flash; it highlights the beauty of the location and gives images more like people 'remember' it.

The Moose link has a lot of info, but I think it didn't hit the 'why' very well.

Istvan -

To my knowledge, you will never see a 'Lo' or underexposure warning in P-mode when using a flash.

With some cameras, you may encounter a 'Hi' or overexposure warning when using a flash in P-mode for daylight fill. This is an indication that the system is 'maxed out' at f/16 and 1/250th and will still overexpose. It's been a while since I shot a D70, but I think even the 'Hi' is unlikely as it features very high sync speeds.