Any Zeiss 50/1.5 Experience?

mark_unlisted

I have one which I bought just recently. I will get back to you as soon as I have some pics in my hand. I shot a couple of BW-pictures of my kids on Tri-X and I?m waiting for my negs and a contact print. ( yes I know - I should develop myself... )

Build quality seams very good, as with the Zeiss 21 2,8 I bought at the same time. I will try to post some pics from that lens as well within two weeks.

Peter

I have a Contax IIIa with the Zeiss Sonnar F1.5 (the model, I think, for the ZM lens) and it's the sharpest, contrastiest lens I've ever owned (Nikon F sys, Rollei TLRs, M3 w/summicron F2, and many more.) I've been coveting one for my M3, but can't afford it. I think it would be great if they did as well as they did in the 50s.

VS

I bought the C Sonnar a few weeks ago. It is a lovely lens. The small size is a real plus. Mechanically this lens is a joy to use. Focusing is a breeze with my ZI M body. The lens hood/cap are frustrating to use. Another disadvantage is the minimum focus distance is longer than most 50mm M lenses.

Photos from this lens look sharper than they are. I don't know how to describe this. The lens is not soft wide open by any means. At the same time it is not clinically sharp wide open at distances near minimum focus. I need to shoot wide-open with subjects 5-8 feet away before I can say more.

The contrast has a modern look while the sharpness has a more classic look. The contrast and its evenness over the frame is excellent. OOF areas are smooth. At f 1.5 there is a small amount of "half-moon" shape in OOF in light points at the edges of the frame. At 2.0 and higher OOF shape becomes symmetrical.

I have a few examples here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/willie_901/tags/csonnar5015zm/

So far I consider the C Sonnar 50/1.5 to be an excellent value. I want to shoot a lot more with this lens at f 1.5 to 2.0. My FLICKR stream will include more examples soon. During the Holidays I've been shooting mostly color. But from now on I'm going to shoot TriX.

I think this lens may deliver images that are a pleasing blend of the classic and modern "look" in a 50 mm lens. By classic I mean a smooth look and by modern I mean pleasing contrast and OOF rendition.