Buying my first SLR, question about lenses...

A newbie for sure...

I am about to purchase my first Digital SLR camera. Photography has been a

hobby for me with my basic point and shoot, but I have been taken on a much

larger project (a small wedding to be exact). I am very much an amateur when it

comes to the technicals of lenses...I am looking at the Nikon D70s & D80, and

also the new Sony Alpha. I am leaning toward the D70s, the price and pixel

difference being the obvious differences. My question is, what are the best

focal lengths to look for when buying lenses. I have noticed that an 18-70mm is

pretty much standard when it comes to kits, and that it is a good lens for

portrait photography. A telephoto lense has also been suggested to me. I hate

to sound oblivious to this type of thing but am eager to learn and want the best

in order to create great photographs. The artistic part is there, just not so

up-to-date on the technical aspect. Being a graphic artist I know the behind the

scenes goodies (i.e. photoshop, composition, etc.). But I am new to the camera

revolution. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

If you can, lean towards the D80, which is a substantial improvement over the D70s, not

least in the rather better viewfinder and (perhaps less importantly) higher resolution

sensor. There's a bunch of other nice features, too.

The 18-70 is a pretty good choice as a first general-purpose lens. You'll probably develop

a need for lenses of other focal lengths over time, but the 18-70 is a high quality safe bet

while you're finding your feet. I'm not sure you'll need anything much longer for portraits,

initially, though you will find it probably has less zoom range than your compact camera

has. Don't worry about this; the results will be vastly better even if you crop.

You might find that a flashgun would be a good initial purchase, though. An SB-600 or if

you can afford it the more powerful SB-800 will give you much more flexibility in lighting

portraits, not least because the D80 (and D70s for that matter) can control these flashes

off camera. This opens up possibilities involving simple use of brollies and small

softboxes to diffuse light, as well as just being able to place the flash gun more optimally

for portrait lighting.

Have fun!

I recommend your first lens be a fixed focal length 50mm. You can "zoom" by moving your feet :).

Also, I recommend you start by turning off all the auto features such as Auto Focus, Program mode etc. You can really learn what each feature does this way and how it will look and effect the image.

Auto features are fine but you don't learn much from them except that sometimes the pictures aren't very good and you don't know why.

At your stage I suggest that you stick to AUTO until you learn what manual can do for you and when it is desirable to use it. Certainly for the up coming wedding and the basic lens at full telephoto will be good for un-distorted portraits. I suggest that you leave the telephoto lens until you have some experience in using the camera.

For all that I would not discourage experimentation to learn what aperture and shutter priority can do for you. The sooner you get to grips with that the better. But be resigned to the fact that it is highly likely that your results will deteriate when you move from AUTO until you get the hang of it ... hence my suggestion that for things that matter stick to AUTO.

I think the concept of working with a single fixed focal length ignores the advantages of having a zoom and learning to appreciate the perspective changes a zoom give you without the expense of buying several lens. Perspective comes from the distance you are from the subject irrespective of lens which could be described as an aid to cropping.

Since you are competant with PS the thing to remember is that camera and editor are companion tools and one should work to a state of mind where they are complimentary to each other in the production of the final product.

If you want advice about covering a wedding, then go to the Wedding forum. Wedding coverage is not for the faint hearted - there is a lot of effort involved, and you will need to add good flash capabilities to the camera and lenses (flashguns, brackets, flash modifiers) and know your equipment inside out so you can work without having to stop to think about settings. Backup equipment is regarded as essential (the wedding only happens once). You'll need to think about contracts - don't do a wedding, even (or perhaps especially) for a friend or relative, without one. And then you have all the post production work in editing and printing the images, composing and making an album, and selling your prints to guests etc. Lenses are important, but nowhere near as important as understanding what else is involved and being sure you acquire proficiency in all areas that are involved in covering a wedding.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a?topic_id=2021&category=First+Timer+and+Newcomers+to+Wedding+Photog%2e

<i>You can "zoom" by moving your feet</i>

<p><p>

NO, YOU CANNOT. The perspective is different between zooming in and out with a zoom lens versus using a prime lens and zooming and out with your feet.

<p><p>

The 18-70mm is a good starter lens for the D80. You can then add to it as your needs grow, e.g., wide angle, telephoto, macro, etc..

<p><p>

Good luck!

Nancy Stock , jan 02, 2007; 11:13 a.m. wrote:<br>

> I recommend your first lens be a fixed focal length 50mm. You can <br>

> "zoom" by moving your feet :). <br>

<br>

This really isn't true. A 50mm with its tight crop (75mm equiv on 135 format) will never give you the same look if you use, say, a 24mm lens and then move closer to achieve the same framing. It will be noticeably different. <br>

<br>

Also, back in the film days when the 50mm was popular, people use to recommend the 50mm as a good starter lens for a couple of reasons:<br>

1) Zooms were quite a bit more expensive and in many cases not very good.<br>

2) It was a compromise between mild wide and mild tele lenses.<br>

<br>

These days, on an APS sensor camera, the 50mm is more like a portrait lens and provides a much narrower field of view. And even inexpensive zooms can perform quite well while retaining a compact form factor. I think a decent zoom like the 18-70/3.5-4.5 kit lens would be fine. The OP could then add primes or other zooms as she learns her preferences. <br>

<br>

> Also, I recommend you start by turning off all the auto features such <br>

> as Auto Focus, Program mode etc. You can really learn what each feature <br>

> does this way and how it will look and effect the image. <br>

<br>

I think it's pretty clear what Auto Focus does without having to go through the exercise of not using it.<br>

<br>

> Auto features are fine but you don't learn much from them except that <br>

> sometimes the pictures aren't very good and you don't know why.<br>

<br>

With film, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly. These days, though, the EXIF data is extremely useful for performing autopsies on your failed photos. However, manually selecting the aperture, shutter, or both, does tend to force you to think about those settings during the time of shooting which is quite useful.<br>

<br>

larsbc<br>

I'd also consider the D80 - the Alpha needs to have some continued support from Sony, not just announcements and advertising.

So, while the Alpha is not a bad choce, the D80 is probably a better choice. If you don't expect to really grow a fairly extensive system over time, the in-body anti-shake of the Sony offers some significant performance/cost advantages. Since I've been until recently a KM system user, and still may keep parts of my system, I'm not anti-Sony just because I might be pro-Canon or Nikon. If you get trapped in the esoterica of the various systems, you'll find it difficult to make a choice - there are few truly bad choices in the dslr systems out there.

The 50mm was the typical first lens, it's perspective or view was close to that of most peoples vision. With a crop factor dslr, it's more like what your current camera might show at a 75mm equivalnet focal length. So while it's a bit less usefull as a short telephoto, many good ones are available and they are both inexpensive, high performing, and have a fast, wide f1.8 or even f1.4 aperture. The 1.4s are quite a bit more expensive.

The 18-70 runs from an equivalent of a wide angle - 28mm on a film camera, to a short telephoto, 100mm equivalent. It's a very handy range for general use. Combining a good performing 18-70 zoom with a 50mm prime would give you a good low light option, the experience of working with a prime, and the usefulness of the 18-70 range (28mm to 100mm equivalence). the Nikon 18-70 is pricier than the other brands but is a high performance lens, faster focus drive, good optics, etc.

The usual move from the middle ranges is to go to some form of telephoto zoom. Comparing to the range of your current camera will help in thinking about needed additions as would working with the sugested lenses. You'll begin to get a feel for what you need as opposed to what other people think you need as you get used to your system.

Dslr/slr lenses sort of come in about three or four or so quality levels, there are some quite inexpensive lenses, generally OK but not great optically, less sturdy build levels - price is key with these lenses, if it sells new for under or not much over $100, it's compromised in some way(s) to make a price point - the 50mm/1.7 or 1.8s are an exception - they are quite good. Then there are consumer lenses, usually running from about $150-$250 or maybe more depending on a variety of factors - focal length/zoom range being a price driver. Optically they aren't too bad, if used for family prints, or on-screen imaging they probably won't be too disappointing. Once you start going past $300 or so, the lenses begin to have higher levels of build and optical quality. Most of the camera makers or lens makers then have another level of build and performance quality that is a professional series, these are very high performing lenses, perhaps weather sealed, wider apertures, constant aperture zooms. But these puppies usually start at $500 or more and quickly run into thousands of dollars depending on focal length, exotic glass lens components.

Prime lenses (single focal lengths, they don't "zoom") tend to be less expensive than zooms as they are less complex. The wider the zoom range (ratio of short end focal length to long end focal length), again, the more complex construction to maintain an appropriate level of performance. A 28-75mm zoom range - about 3x zoom is more likely to perform well than a 28-200 or 18-200, etc., at the same price point.

However, if you are going to be trying a wedding soon, then use of flash and light control will be extremely important. It's not uncommon for flash to not be allowed during the actual wedding ceremony, wedding venues are often poorly lit, and the traditional wedding attire, black and white is a very difficult to shoot and capture details in both a white dress and black tux, etc. I'd suggest looking closely at the available flashes for the system you choose. Nikon is currently doing better with flash than the Sony/KM dslrs.

Most of the foregoing is very good advice. Congratulations to you for seeking help before plunging into all that expense! You might consider Canon's DSLR line if you haven't ruled it out already for some reason. Many threads here on that subject. Perhaps go try out the various cameras and lenses in a store, to see which feels good in your hands. Also, when you buy a camera, you're buying into a whole line of lenses and accessories. You may not want to buy a whole new camera body each time you want another lens. Which camera will suit all the things you will want to do in the foreseeable future?

• 4 months later...

Don't foget your tripod!

If you buy a D80 ( good choice, I didn't have the budget) you have in your hand a very advanced piece of modern photogrphic equiptment, with about 150 years of technical knowhow built in, WHY the hell would you want to turn it off?

You'll have enough to think about at the wedding without focus/apeture/shutter speed etc. etc.

See www.kenrockwell.com for some good practical advice on which camera/lens etc. ( and "why your camera doesn't matter")