Stress on D80 mount with heavy lenses

andrew_cale

I started using my 70-200vr this weekend on my D80. I realized very quickly

that the lens is very heavy and got slightly concerned about the amount of

stress it places on the camera mount when not supported (ie...while

navigating/changing two-button camera menu's). I was not using a pod of any

sort.

Should I be concerned with this or is it me just being overly cautious?

Cheers,

Andy

When I got my D70 I asked a question like this Nikon. They called me back and explained that the body (D70) is strong enough for such a combo hanging round the neck. But the sevice man also told me that I should avoid fast movements only with my hands at the camera body. He said the inner parts of the body are mostly plastic. D70 & D80 are probably the same in this respect.

Yeah, Bjorn has a very good point. I have had two different 80-200mm/2.8 AF (one of them the AF-S) and the 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR. None of them has the hooks on the lens barrel for its own strap; neither does any 300mm/f4.

I have a few bigger lenses that have hooks on the barrel and they come with their own straps. The smallest one of those is the 300mm/f2.8 AF-S, while the 400mm/f2.8 Bjorn mentions is a much bigger lens. Again, I would say starting from the 300mm/f2.8 and on, you need to be careful.

Of course, if you put the 70-200mm/f2.8 on your D80, and then you grap onto the D80 body and swing it like a baseball bat, you could cause some damage. But most people don't use (actually abuse) the D80 that way.