Nikon 28-105 D with D50

martin_duchesne

I use it on my D70s and it is quite a nice lens. I do need something wider at times, but the longer reach of the 105mm x 1.5 = 157.5mm is very useful. The rater broad range saves me a lot lens swaping (less chance of dust on the sensor). It really depends on your type of shooting, subject and environment. It is a fairly sharp lens. Focusing not quite as fast as an AF-S lens but it is quick and has not been a problem for me with action shots. It makes a great every day walk around lens.

Stan

It's a nice mid-zoom on the digital bodies, it's a 55-210 on the dx bodies. I have one from my F80 and use it on my D70s as well.

The other nice thing about it I didn't see mentioned is the excellent macro mode it has, you can get right in there.

Uhh... Ignore Frank's new math. (Sorry, Frank.) Actually a 28-105 would be equivalent to the

field of view of something like a 42mm - 158mm... approximately...

42mm is NOT a wide angle lens, so you still need to cover that range. 18-70 is a better

choice for DSLR, imho.

Yes, I started off with this combination, but bought an 18-70 soon after due to poor wideangle capability on the DX body. However, I have kept the lens because of its macro capabilities - you can go close and with the crop factor, you get close to 1:1. Also, because it only uses the central part of the lens, there is no vignetting and sharpness is good. Finally, distortion levels are very low.

For the price you can't beat it. I have been using this lens on my D-50 for a year. Yes I would like a little wider angle, but it is well worth the price. I'm eventually upgrading to the 18-200VR but for now... By the way, I am not a professional photographer so weigh my opinion accordingly. Just a Dad who photos kids in sports, violin recitals, family get togethers, vacations, etc.